Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpening a blade
29 March 2013, 02:21,
Sharpening a blade
Can anyone offer any information regard sharpening knives and machetes, I have bought several different sharpening implements.....but i'm still crap at the task.....I have a carbarunded stone, falkniven stone thing (it's tiny), a puck stone, and couple others that I can't find..............any ideas if any of these's are any good, or do I spend more cash I don't have right now.......any info gratefully recieved.
29 March 2013, 09:34,
RE: Sharpening a blade
I sharpen the kitchen knives using a simple steel but one of my lads hones the carvers using a puck type thing. It took him a while to get it right, plenty of plasters and stitches, and his comment was that too much force is as bad as too great an angle.
He has a bord specially for his knives. They can slice paper.
Mine make sandwiches.
Meg.
29 March 2013, 10:22,
we use an oval sharpening stone like they use for scythes, break it in 2 and use one store the other away in my stores, use them dry, makes a wicked edge.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 March 2013, 10:38,
Jan, some good videos on youtube,

especially the ray mears ones!
29 March 2013, 15:17,
It is a combination of stone one is using, skill at the operation and the knife being used.

Scandi grinds are the easiest for the beginner to accomplish. That is why they are so popular with bushcrafters. A scandi grind will take a good edge with even primitive stones and using good diamond homes or Arkansas stones one can achieve a razor edge in short order.

A machette needs nothing more than a good file to take out nicks and repair folded edges.

There are hundreds of clips, vids and blogs, along with over 100 years of published instructions in the Boy Scout Handbook.

It is a learned skill and what it boils down too is that one gets it or they don't.

Once you "get it" the skill is set and you can repeat it eternally, knowing that if things are not working it is the fault of the blade and not the stones or the user.
29 March 2013, 19:24,
Avoid using high speed wheels or other machines because they spin too fast and heat up the metal too much, which can ruin the temper.

Also, once it can cut paper with no effort, you know it's 100% sharp.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
29 March 2013, 20:25,
i've heard very good things about this, and it gets nutnfancy's seal of approval so thats like 4 people recommending it xD

29 March 2013, 20:51,
(29 March 2013, 20:25)Hrusai Wrote: i've heard very good things about this, and it gets nutnfancy's seal of approval so thats like 4 people recommending it xD

150 pound alot of money Sad
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 March 2013, 21:56,
Cheaper, and just as effective is the Lansky standard system.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pro...I5800.html

I bought one of these for my sone 20 years ago and he is still using it.

You go through the series of stones and then strop the edge on a leather strap and you will have a razor edge.

We are not talking cutting paper, we are talking shaving hair.
30 March 2013, 12:25,
interesting jigs

the lanskey looks interesting due to the big price difference compared to the Apex system