Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allotment & food storage
1 April 2013, 18:56,
Allotment & food storage
Well I've had an email from the council letting me know I've got an allotment (pleased I checked my junk folder now Smile ). I'm like a dog with two di... err tails.

I've been growing in my garden for ages now so the extra space provided will be great & provide the vast majority of my family's fresh veg & soft fruit needs during summer/autumn. Anyone recommend any good winter & early spring veg except cabbage?

Does anyone know any good ways of storing fresh veg to keep it in good condition? I've heard about clamps, sand beds etc.. but have no experience of actually storing it.

Also, someone previously mentioned a cheap (£35 I think) dehydrator, what does the fresh veg store like & more importantly, taste like when it's re-soaked again?

Cheers in advance guys

Rob.
1 April 2013, 19:08,
RE: Allotment & food storage
Well done, have you been waiting for long?
1 April 2013, 19:09,
good news on getting an allotment

we had one for two season but work and finding out we were having a baby (little one's just turned two now) so couldn't spend the time on it so had to give it up.
http://www.allotment.org.uk/ is a good site and John Harrison's books are good
1 April 2013, 19:10,
I like to keep lettace rotating in my garden. I plant a little bit every week and cut fresh daily.

Onions can be planted now and eaten at every stage until mature, then hung and dried.

Potatoes can also be aired and stored with no fuss.

Tomatoes dry fantastic in the home dehydrator. I dry them, place them in plastic bags and use them all through the winter. Carrots also dry well.

Beans of various types will dry on the vine so you can store them in sacks with no effort.

Then you have various veggies that can well and almiost anything will freeze if you have a deep freezer.
1 April 2013, 19:11,
But don't freeze potatoes or store them below zero

also don't plant them until the frost have finished too
1 April 2013, 19:14,
potatoes do not dry in the dehydrator well either, at least not for me!

they turn black

I have heard you can use lemon juice to prevent that but sinece I do not grow potatoes I have never tried it.

some things it is just cheaper to buy and that allows you to use allotment space for other things.
1 April 2013, 19:19,
(1 April 2013, 19:14)Mortblanc Wrote: some things it is just cheaper to buy and that allows you to use allotment space for other things.

True but the spuds fresh from the ground are far better tasting than any bought a the super market and I know that the've not been treated with chemicals

you can also try different varieties too
1 April 2013, 20:37, (This post was last modified: 1 April 2013, 20:53 by Straight Shooter.)
MB try this...1. 2 gal black bucket drill some holes in the bottom....2" gravel followed by 2" horse manue followed by 2" soil or compost place 1 seed patatoe in center fill 4" soil you should be about half way up the bucket...wait for till foiliage is about 6 " above the top of the bucket.....then fill up the bucket with soil and horm up 2 " around the foiliage....wait till it flower,s and the plant will start to keel over ...ready then to eat......try CHARLOTE to go with that lettice ....boil ....rest....butter .... pinch of black pepper find yourself a nice chair overlooking a meadow...close your eyes ....gentley raise your folk .....and savour that taste of nature...from the fruits of your labour .....heaven....keep the bucket moist simple stuff....try the same with runner beans......bacon...tip the fat over the beans knob of butter and drift away man.......i cannot wait for this years crop and the ritual i go through....and give my thanks to mother earth

Sorry rob got caught up in the moment....maris piper is a great patatoe a real good all rounder can go in now first early....broad beans now ..onoin sets..now but under a clotch....lettice under clotch.....get in there boyo.. go nuts

And a note to you all .....get your kids and granchildren involved....its the best thing...when they can pick from their efforts ....its then over to OH to show them how to prepare and or cook ....comon yar,all lets have a revolution
1 April 2013, 20:56,
winter veg
kale drawf black and red
savoys
swedes turnips parsnip
leeks artichokes
lettuce chard
spiach
spring cabbage and try nettles for soup or green veg
enjoy your plot
1 April 2013, 21:01,
(1 April 2013, 20:56)GrannyMike Wrote: winter veg
kale drawf black and red
savoys
swedes turnips parsnip
leeks artichokes
lettuce chard
spiach
spring cabbage and try nettles for soup or green veg
enjoy your plot

add parsnips ... just leave them in the ground until you need them just been given some that were dug up two days ago