Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales from the Veggie Patch
4 April 2013, 21:42, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 21:43 by Luci_ferson.)
RE: Tales from the Veggie Patch
theyre nitrate hungry so cant see why hed need the for anything, they would remove nitrates from his feeds.

he did say he was experimenting though, so could be just about anything.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
4 April 2013, 21:46,
(4 April 2013, 21:41)Highlander Wrote:
(4 April 2013, 21:40)MaryN Wrote:
(4 April 2013, 21:39)Highlander Wrote: Call Duckweed, I think because its often found on duck Ponds,.. when we were kids we used to make small boats powered with elastic bands,.. and see whos boat could power through the most weed,...Smile

Why do you think Scythe would use it for growing things, Highlander? It's horrible pernicious stuff.

Maybe S13, has some little boats too.......

O.K., that's funny!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
4 April 2013, 23:10,
(4 April 2013, 21:46)MaryN Wrote:
(4 April 2013, 21:41)Highlander Wrote:
(4 April 2013, 21:40)MaryN Wrote:
(4 April 2013, 21:39)Highlander Wrote: Call Duckweed, I think because its often found on duck Ponds,.. when we were kids we used to make small boats powered with elastic bands,.. and see whos boat could power through the most weed,...Smile

Why do you think Scythe would use it for growing things, Highlander? It's horrible pernicious stuff.

Maybe S13, has some little boats too.......

O.K., that's funny!

Smile sorry, couldnt resist,... I am not sure why it might be useful,... I think that Duckweed gives off a lot of oxygen,.. because although its always on very still water, the water is always clear where you find it, maybe it has certain anti fungal properties????
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 April 2013, 23:15, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 23:19 by Luci_ferson.)
I don't think its the oxygen, cos when it gets out of hand in the fishtank it suffocates the fish.
fishtanks need surface area to dispose of other gases though. maybe it not the lack of oxygen that suffocates them but the build up of other gases.
its not something ive looked into . don't intend on putting it back in a tank to find out either lol.

the reason the water is clear where you find it is because it sucks up all the nitrates not allowing other algal blooms to grow. its why we used to use it in fish tanks.

algae grows in fishtanks through nutrient levels getting too high and too much light.
duckweed blocks both. sadly it chokes off your good plants too.

duckweed is excellent duck feed though. maybe that's what hes wanting it for.

free duck food that's easy and quick to cultivate.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
18 May 2013, 23:55,
just planted out my Pumpkin plants...WoooHooo, thought I'd never get there :-)
19 May 2013, 08:54,
O.K., going to brag now. In my garden at the mo, I have...
Cabbages (4 types), purple sprouting broccoli, leeks, pumpkins, courgettes, outdoor cukes, a few lines of Charlottes for new potato salad, runner beans, haricot beans, peas and mangetout, lettuce, Welsh onions, chard, parsnips and beetroot, asparagus (picking for lunch today) and a few sweet corn plants. For fruit:... strawberries, raspberries (3 types to cover the season), blackcurrants, redcurrants, loganberries, rhubarb, apples (4 types), pears (2 types), plums (2 types), damson, quince, cherries (3 types) and greengage. There are a lot of assorted herbs growing all over the place as well, oh and don't forget the wild blackberries, sweet chestnut and elders.

It's been a busy year.
19 May 2013, 10:08,
Well I dont have as much, but do have growing,... peas, carrots, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, radishes, potatoes in containers, Broad beans, Brussels sprouts,..and have planted this year, 2 x Apple trees, 2 x Pear trees and a Plum tree.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 May 2013, 14:37,
Just had to put up some chicken wire fencing as my puppy after seeing us digging holes has decided he is the better gardener and has dug up everything we just put in...LOL

Still never mind. plenty more seeds in the bag :-)
19 May 2013, 19:35,
Well I am munching away on my radish as I type, okay then ......potatoes , onions, peas, carrots, lettuce, broad beans, cabbage, runner beans, parsnips, leeks, cucumbers, tomatoes , squash, red currants, black currants, raspberries, blackberries, loganberries, rhubarb, cherries , plums, quince, cox apples, pears , nectarines, damsons , parsley, mint, sage, rosemary, chives, horseradish, coriander , gooseberries and blueberries , been weeding all day today 7am to 5.30 pm but enjoyed every second of it.....also sang HEY JUDE .....and belted out narr narr narr narn anan narr full out ....old roy walked passed .....shouted over , " I like Gerry and the pacemakers to " what a Muppet and like a Muppet I broke into I LIKE IT ....I LIKE IT ....just for the fun of it ....on the way back roy shouts THE BEATLES sang HEY JUDE .....oh yeah they did to roy my boy ...your dead right pal.
19 May 2013, 19:38,
Ooh, nectarines, lucky you. It must be warmer over that side of the country. Nothing wrong wth singing to your plants....... (stay off the damson gin!).