Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales from the Veggie Patch
4 April 2013, 11:03, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 11:06 by Luci_ferson.)
RE: Tales from the Veggie Patch
ive just started leeks and peas in pots. not planting them out yet for same reason as bigpaul.

well I didn't start them my OH did. I just got the stuff out for her lol

was a bit upset to find that the seeds we have for beetroot although never said anywhere that they were hybrids.
after opening the pack the little pack inside has hybrid written on it.

and now its just started hailstoning , soooo glad I didn't go to allotment today.
that's just put a smile on my face.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
4 April 2013, 21:09, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 21:09 by MaryN.)
Thinking of adding a small duckweed grower built from guttering along the bottom of the back wall, to add nutrients into the water for the window farm and for the drip feed system for the main plants as well. It might not work, but it's well worth a try and a bit of experimentation is always fun.
[/quote]

O.K., I'm going to bite - what's with the duckweed?

(4 April 2013, 21:09)MaryN Wrote: Thinking of adding a small duckweed grower built from guttering along the bottom of the back wall, to add nutrients into the water for the window farm and for the drip feed system for the main plants as well. It might not work, but it's well worth a try and a bit of experimentation is always fun.

O.K., I'm going to bite - what's with the duckweed?
[/quote]

That's addressed to you, Scythe13
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
4 April 2013, 21:20, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 21:22 by Luci_ferson.)
lol, I was gonna ask but didn't want to look stupider than I already do.
only duckweed I know of is the one I sometimes put in my fishtank to suck the nitrates out of the water.
and that stuff is a nightmare to get rid of once it starts growing . it starves all my other plants of nutrients.

nitrates are not good for fish. plants love em but fish don't, and sadly fish produce ammonia in high levels which breaks down into nitrate and nitrite.
duckweed sucks this up faster than they can produce it.
4 April 2013, 21:34,
You know what, Luci, I don't give a toss about being thought stupid for asking a question. If I want to know something I would certainly ask about it.
4 April 2013, 21:35,
Duckweed is the light green [ almost scum] plant you get on very still water, very small leaves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnoideae
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 April 2013, 21:37, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 21:38 by Luci_ferson.)
(4 April 2013, 21:34)MaryN Wrote: You know what, Luci, I don't give a toss about being thought stupid for asking a question. If I want to know something I would certainly ask about it.

smart people don't look stupid when they ask questions. they just look smarter.

im not in that category lol

I seem to ask the right question but manage to make it sound dumb.
4 April 2013, 21:39,
Call Duckweed, I think because its often found on duck Ponds,.. when we were kids we used to make small boats powered with elastic bands,.. and see whos boat could power through the most weed,...Smile
4 April 2013, 21:40,
(4 April 2013, 21:39)Highlander Wrote: Call Duckweed, I think because its often found on duck Ponds,.. when we were kids we used to make small boats powered with elastic bands,.. and see whos boat could power through the most weed,...Smile

Why do you think Scythe would use it for growing things, Highlander? It's horrible pernicious stuff.
4 April 2013, 21:41,
just been reading about it , theres many types, and one of them is the one I use in aquarium sometimes. not so much now since it gets out of hand.
4 April 2013, 21:41,
(4 April 2013, 21:40)MaryN Wrote:
(4 April 2013, 21:39)Highlander Wrote: Call Duckweed, I think because its often found on duck Ponds,.. when we were kids we used to make small boats powered with elastic bands,.. and see whos boat could power through the most weed,...Smile

Why do you think Scythe would use it for growing things, Highlander? It's horrible pernicious stuff.

Maybe S13, has some little boats too.......