Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
understanding light
5 April 2013, 13:13, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2013, 13:20 by Luci_ferson.)
RE: understanding light
theoretical sciences are great

Hawking radiation is black body radiation that is predicted to be emitted by black holes, due to quantum effects near the event horizon. It is named after the physicist Stephen Hawking, who provided a theoretical argument for its existence in 1974,[1] and sometimes also after Jacob Bekenstein, who predicted that black holes should have a finite, non-zero temperature and entropy.[2] Hawking's work followed his visit to Moscow in 1973 where the Soviet scientists Yakov Zeldovich and Alexei Starobinsky showed him that according to the quantum mechanical uncertainty principle, rotating black holes should create and emit particles.[3]

you do realise weve just all managed to baffle everyone else and they gave up trying to understand ages ago lol

technically those particles are not travelling faster than light
its just that light cannot escape a black hole
it don't mean other things cant

si those particles are only travelling faster then the light that is being held back
therefore lightitself don't have a real set speed.
it too is defined by gravitational force.
but that's a whole new science .

and also only theoretical.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
5 April 2013, 13:21,
haha, i guess that gives us uber nerd credentials Big Grin....speaking of nerd credentials, do you read xkcd?

aye, theoretical physics is one of my all time favourite things Smile....i really like the idea of a fizzing mass of virtual particles, a reality foam if you will, especially when its right next to a black hole!

well you can outrun light in some cases, the speed of light through some mediums is actually slower than other things (no examples come to mind though)...lights speed depends largely on what it's travelling through Smile

god science gets confusing sometimes lol....i'm not even gonna start talking about quantum mechanics xD

theoretical physics freaking rocks!
5 April 2013, 13:23,
nah , the point of the article was only to highlight the importance of learning about light from a prepper/growers prospective.
we were never meant to go this far in.
any further and we may as well have covered time travel lmao
5 April 2013, 13:25,
In for a penny, In for a pound!

all ya need to do is either go faster than the speed of light, jump into a wormhole, somehow created a closed timelike curve or go really faster past a spinning blackhole

time travel covered xD

Ok, no more theoretical physics from me! back on topic Smile
5 April 2013, 13:33,
well you can outrun light in some cases, the speed of light through some mediums is actually slower than other things (no examples come to mind though)...lights speed depends largely on what it's travelling through Smile

light photons are not affected by the density of surrounding space, they get affected by gravity fields of stars and black holes etc. When light passes by an object with large gravity it bends a little, as proved by the 1919 experiment during a solar eclipse which was used to test Einsteins theory of relativity. See link below

http://www.earthmagazine.org/article/ben...relativity
5 April 2013, 13:45,
okey dude, now pass my smoke back. lol
5 April 2013, 13:46,
afraid not dude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_light

though gravity does indeed bend light happily Smile
5 April 2013, 13:48,
wasn't his fault, I passed him it. he he he
5 April 2013, 13:48,
when do i get my turn!

although technically you could say gravity doesn't bend light, merely spacetime
5 April 2013, 13:55, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2013, 13:56 by Luci_ferson.)
the gravity of a blackhole slows time to the extent that it cannot escape.
it must be slowing it because if other particles are escaping yet light is not. we know nothing can travel faster than light
so the conclusion would be the particle isn't, its just travelling faster than the light that is around the black hole that is being pulled back.

but its all just theoretical. its not much use to a prepper.
they only need to know about colours and why they measured in degrees kelvin etc.
which colors for which purpose etc.
number of lumens.
how to calculate how many watts per Sq foot would give 14,000 lumens at 15,000k etc.

they don't need particle physics,

theories are good for expanding the mind and the knowledge of the univers, they don't do crap for getting a chili pepper to grow in low light and cold climate.