Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle questions
7 April 2013, 12:58,
Vehicle questions
What type and size of cars / vehicles do you use, for urban or city and what equipment / prepping gear do you keep in your vehicle.

There is no shortages of info on large 4x4s for rural prepping but I can find little research of urban vehicles for preppers and what sort of stuff urban preppers select to carry in their cars?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 April 2013, 22:54,
RE: Vehicle questions
This is partly a bump to bring this post back up as I am also interested in the question, I am keen to know why, and if, people might choose a different type of vehicle for urban use
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 April 2013, 23:01, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2013, 23:02 by Luci_ferson.)
I don't drive,
I can , but im not licensed so don't.

I reckon any vehicle with a snorkel on its air intake could come in pretty usefull.
ive got a feeling when the power gos off and the water plants stop treating the waste water etc. some of the roads could get pretty flooded as the drains begin to back up.

could be a good idea to put a bit of pipe and a few clips in your cars.
a snorkel would help on any vehicle really, in that situation.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
7 April 2013, 23:30,
I run a few vehicles,

An old Nissan micra for work, cheap as chips on fuel.

A Mitsubishi Pajero which is used for towing my trailer tent and general shite lugging

A Sachs Madass motorbike, kinda like an urban crosser style.

A Talbot Express camper van , which I use for wild camping, and would be also utilised as my BOB ?, as I don't have anywhere scoped out to go yet, so it would double as my base/home until I can make alternative plans.
7 April 2013, 23:35,
id swap both my jewels for a campavan in good condition.
7 April 2013, 23:40,
It's in usable rather than good condition, it will cost me a bit at the end of the month for the MOT, but I will keep it on until next year and then make a decision on wether to upgrade it or not.
8 April 2013, 00:31,
even with a failed mot. it can be stored off road on private ground.
id keep hold of it atleast until you get something else.
who cares about mot after tshtf
8 April 2013, 07:55,
So,..is the camper a favored veh in the cities,.. not some small easily maneuvered car?, after all 4x4 wouldn't be needed,.. no would some of the kit a rural prepper might want to carry
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 April 2013, 08:26,
(7 April 2013, 23:30)madaxman Wrote: A Talbot Express camper van , which I use for wild camping,.

LOL! camper van and wild camping! Rolleyes

Camper vans are fun to drive, especially the long wheelbase ones, never driven a yank one, but don't particularly want to either.

i drive a sensible family saloon, automatic for extra reliability, i can sleep in it with the back seats folded down, its 13 years old so it sits higher than all these modern oddities we have now!

400+miles per tank, though thats taking it easy.

I don't see it as a long-term solution though, vehicles make you a target!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 April 2013, 09:19,
i drive a petrol Citreon Berlingo 1400cc, we wanted a van with windows and thats exactly what we got! my favourite vehicle is a Suzuki carry van/Bedford Rascal type..great from those deep narrow devon lanes.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.