Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A few thoughts on the state of things
8 April 2013, 13:21, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2013, 13:21 by Luci_ferson.)
RE: A few thoughts on the state of things
one of the good side affect of brewing booze is the co2 output.
brew it in your greenhouse and the extra co2 has a great affect on most plants.
I wouldn't bother hoarding gold so much though , as if finances all collapse even gold would be worthless.
only thing of any value would be food and land.

theres a good possibility the power would be off too, so unless you get a god relyable alternaticev source the 3d printer would be useless.
I imagine getting hold of the compounds it uses would be difficult after tshtf too so you would need to keep a large stock to make it worthwhile.
id probably invest the money in something more usefull. but you may have something planned the rest of us have no idea about.

oh and welcome from teeside.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 April 2013, 15:41, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2013, 15:43 by Straight Shooter.)
Hello and welcome from south wales .....you just became awake mate ....buy more food RIGHT NOW also seeds to grow your own ...take time out to check out stuff on the main site there are loads of info on what and how, DO THIS FIRST....plan your work ...work your plan... then get to it, on the double is my view....and advice, all on here will help ....just ask... shop at aldi,s ....rice 40 p ...spaghetti 29 p ....corned beef 1.54 ....tin ham 1.79 get in there and check it out....also lidil,s......... long term.....grains .....wheat ...doves farm £17.00 for 25 kls on the internet ...get cracking

P. S . check out sids surplus for any gear FIRST
8 April 2013, 15:43,
Looks like I came to right place = )

To cover a few points raised:

1. Agreed re the content of precious metal coins, I mostly buy 0.1 ounce Krugers and silver american eagles which are one ounce so I keep them small, but yeah buying a pint of milk could be a problem = )

2. With the 3d printer and cnc/lazer cutter I was thinking garage manufacturing, creating everyday items for my family and friends consumption or even for trade. Same as the beer brewing.

Of course if things get really bad lack of electricity could be a problem, but I don't know if things will get that bad, possibly they will. I did think about the reliability of a constant supply of plastic, that could be problematic too but again it depends how bad things get.

Any thoughts on solar panels?

3. Well I am not a financial expert but if our sales are anything to go by the big money is definitely battening down the hatches, but that should be apparent to anybody out there. It's more a case of my ten years in the finance industry bringing me to the realisation the world economy is a pack of cards waiting to blow over.

4. Yes I will start stashing cans of food, I guess I kind of avoided this as gold coins are easy to hide by the wife might start asking uncomfortable questions if she comes across crates of tesco's spaghetti in the garage = )

I don't foresee a complete breakdown in society, I see more of an increasingly government controlled, centrally planned economy arising and eventually soviet style rationing/bread queues situation. Of course I could be completely wrong.

On the subject of Argentina, if anybody has read any good books on these sorts of periods in history feel free to recommend.
8 April 2013, 15:59,
you could be right too.
but even if it is more of a controlled governmental centrally planned thing.
the country appears to be at the point where if that happens then hell would break loose.
as soon as hell breaks loose I expect the Gov would cut power at its earliest opportunity.
kill the net conections and the mobile phones, try to limit what the world knows about whats going on inside.
only way they could really do it with much affect is kill the electricity.
as soon as the electric gos so odes all the banking and shops etc.

I prefer your outlook on how things are likely to be.
but im planning for my outlook, if im wrong ive got no money left but everything I need.
if your wrong you've got a hand full of gold and nobody that will trade it for food.

keep some gold or cash or whatever by all means, but prep for the fact it may become worthless.

then you cant go wrong either way.
8 April 2013, 16:08,
(8 April 2013, 15:59)Luci_ferson Wrote: you could be right too.
but even if it is more of a controlled governmental centrally planned thing.
the country appears to be at the point where if that happens then hell would break loose.
as soon as hell breaks loose I expect the Gov would cut power at its earliest opportunity.
kill the net conections and the mobile phones, try to limit what the world knows about whats going on inside.
only way they could really do it with much affect is kill the electricity.
as soon as the electric gos so odes all the banking and shops etc.

I prefer your outlook on how things are likely to be.
but im planning for my outlook, if im wrong ive got no money left but everything I need.
if your wrong you've got a hand full of gold and nobody that will trade it for food.

keep some gold or cash or whatever by all means, but prep for the fact it may become worthless.

then you cant go wrong either way.

Point taken = )
8 April 2013, 16:14, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2013, 16:29 by Luci_ferson.)
I originally went down the route of looking for where to put money, ( id gotten out of the banks)
Gold was my first option.
then I thought about it.
if I had 2 lb of potatoes and someone else had some gold. how many potatoes would I swap him for half his gold. after the economies collapse.

I realised I would actually give him any, my kids cant eat it.

what does scare me a little is this.

I have a few friends who are into financial investments etc.
some of them are pretty smart.

3. Well I am not a financial expert but if our sales are anything to go by the big money is definitely battening down the hatches, but that should be apparent to anybody out there. It's more a case of my ten years in the finance industry bringing me to the realisation the world economy is a pack of cards waiting to blow over.

so far your the first person ive met that has anything to do with the finance industry that has admitted they can see a problem.

its a little worrying.
Nothing that's going to alarm me, but it was certainly a first for me.

as an afternote, I imagine your bottles of jack daniels will rocket in value, especially after the initial bubble pops.
probably be worth more than gold, which is a little insane when you think about it.

you may not stand much chance trading your gold with me, but id likely trade the JD and I don't even drink it.
8 April 2013, 17:17,
For the moment would feel more comfortable holding gold/silver AND food.

Well I don't think governments can carry on trying to stimulate stagnating economies indefinitely by borrowing and printing more money, people aren't fooled.

Actually I think the real problem isn't even stagnation, it's that the economy needs less and less workers to produce the same amount of goods and services and no amount of government stimulation will bring those jobs back, hence the term "jobless recovery" we are hearing so often.

I'll stop pretending to be an economist now = )

I'm not a fan on JD either but struck me as something which is well recognised and therefore easily tradeable.
8 April 2013, 17:38, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2013, 17:41 by Luci_ferson.)
id be very surprised if the JD wasn't tradeable.
a lot of unusual items would be too.
sadly were limited to what we can safely say we could hide/protect etc.

I imagine around 2 years after the initial collapse , a can of cherry coke could be worth a full days labour to some, just to remember how it tasted. or to give it to someone as a gift because it was their favourite.
8 April 2013, 17:43,
Anybody have any idea how long JD bottles keep if stored in a cold, dark place? I have seen various figures given.
8 April 2013, 18:18, (This post was last modified: 8 April 2013, 18:20 by Luci_ferson.)
theyd last pretty much forever ,if stored like that its got high alcohol content

if anything it might improve it and become drinkable lol

for long term storage youd be better with a highlands single malt.
theses only get better with age if stored correctly.