Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urbanised Vehicles for preppers
9 April 2013, 18:29,
RE: Urbanised Vehicles for preppers
just get a vehicle you can afford to buy and run, dont wash it let it get all dirty and uninteresting.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 April 2013, 20:41, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2013, 20:54 by Mortblanc.)
SOOOOO!

What would make the ideal "not stick out like a sore thumb" BOV?

One that was multifunctional, rugged, capable of moderate rough work...Easy to reinforce if the time came when that was needed. (anyone ever see the movie Escape From New York? Sort of an urban Mad Max)

My vote is sitting in the drive.

[Image: 001_zps041150c4.jpg]

Some expanded diamond mesh over the windows and grill for protection of the glass those out that need to stay out and it is pretty much set up.

I am not real worried about external fuel cans, this thing has a 300 mile range on the built in tank and "post event" I would never be going 300 miles on a forage for any reason.

Of course your selection might be vastly different!

My Secondary vehicle of very different from the Jeep but has already been treated to some SHTF mods. that is mostly due to it being my daily driver. It would be what I was driving 9 times out of 10 if I were in town for lunch and an earthquake, tsumami or fireball from heaven struck.

I do tend to choose vehicles that are ubicuious in my area. There are literally thousands of these jeep XJ models in my area. A 10-15 year old model in good condition will sell for $1500 U.S.
10 April 2013, 21:32,
The Jeep in your drive is a nice vehicle, and I would think perfect for the States, but I am guessing that it is far too heavy on fuel for the UK,... well it would be for me

I have a Hyundia Santa Fee, its a great car, estate, 4x4, good on fuel and a lovely drive,... I use mine with a top box, that way I have my GHB in the top out of the way
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 April 2013, 21:50, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2013, 21:54 by Mortblanc.)
I have several friends that drive the Santa Fe. It is a nice rig but does not get but 5 mpg better than my Jeep! I get 20 mpg highway and they get about 24.

That is considering the fact that 90% of the Santa Fe models here in the states have V6 engines.

I did have a Honda CRV for 10 years. It had a 2L engine/AWD and got only 19mpg, so the Jeep would beat it on a good day.

My daily driver is a Dodge Caliber. I am not certain what the model is called in GB. It has also become my short range camping vehicle. Lots of room inside and it shares the base platform of the Jeep Compass. The difference between the Caliber and Compass is the Jeep has AWD.

I drove it on my last long range camping trip and it towed my trailer with complete camp (in the 500-700 pound range) for 950 miles and got me 25 mpg. It will fetch 30+mpg with no load on board.

I have installed a frame mounted hitch and roof rack. Lights are on the do list as is a change of rims and tires. I need some good rough tread. I am also searching for some air shocks for a bit of load capacity increase.

As discribed, I am not into really heavy modifications that draw attention. I just want my beast a little more rugged than stock and set up for my specific needs.

That Jeep stays packed with the camping gear. I could walk out the door, drive off in the Jeep and live for a month with no resupply and probably begin a good rebuild of society with what is on board.
11 April 2013, 09:10,
Citreon Berlingo does us fine, its only 1400cc powerful enough fpr open roads but not excessive fuel consumption, we have the back seats permanently folded up, only the 2 of us and we dont give lifts, plenty of room in the back for picking up "stuff".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 April 2013, 22:41,
I rate the jeep 2.5 diesel very highly, having previously owned a 4.5l fj80 Land Cruiser for 10 years. The jeeps good on fuel, simple to work on/ repair. The only down side for me with jeep is its a bit small. However in snow or step hill I preferred jeep. The best bit the Jeeps are cheap to buy second-hand.
15 April 2013, 23:27,
Ha, oh no an "ethnic gang"!

I agree that people in cities tend to get a bit of brushed aside, and only ever get told "what, you live in a city, well, you're as good as dead come so much as a solar flair" So urban survival info will be welcomed by many.
I live bang on the border of town and wilderness myself.

Oh yeah we were talking vehicles. Never underestimate a good mountain bike, in both urban and rural settings.

I have them all, a midweight 4x4, a light small city car, big motorbikes, small motorbikes, and I still think my mountain bike will be the most useful.

Hmmm, all those vehicles might explain why I'm so broke. Anyone want to buy a motorbike?