Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under ground storage containers
19 November 2011, 16:07,
Under ground storage containers
Whats the best sorage containers to put under ground ?
Plastic drums or metal containers/boxes.

Don't want to dig up a stash and find its rotted through or some rodents have chipped away at it and ate all the food
Watch your six
19 November 2011, 16:17, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2011, 16:18 by JD1.)
RE: Under ground storage containers
Depends how much you want to put in it. If you go for smaller quantities in a few different places you get the bonus of not having all your eggs in one basket.

Drainpipes with the ends on are ideal at about 5-6 inches wide and about 3 feet long buried end up so you only have to disturb a small amount of surface area. Bury a few along various escape routes and near locations you might be headed to

Cheap as well
And dont forget where you buried them, the exact spot Blush
19 November 2011, 16:29, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2011, 16:32 by Twoesme.)
Whats the best way to mark the spot mate or will it depend on terain ,I bet one of those drain pipes will hold a weeks worth of food ,anther for water
Maybe a weeks supply of food and water for 2-3people in every location i would like to dig in.
Watch your six
19 November 2011, 19:59,
Its quite easy to mark a spot where you have buried a stash. Plant a rubharb crown upon it or a bush. That is the best way. If you walk the area often you can watch what is happening and take action if something is not right. Kenneth Eames.
19 November 2011, 20:33,
Burying a cache tube like that is not easy. Too close to the surface and it can float up after heavy rain or be picked up by someone digging to take up your rhubarb plant.

Plus the end stops are expensive. Unless someone knows where you can get cheap ones I get mine from a local builders yard.

*whistles* You can also put ammunition and a weapon in them. Just make sure it is well oiled and the ends are well sealed. I bet many americans put their weapons in there just in case there is confiscation. Bury these deep so it needs radar to find them. Plod will use metal detectors and dig a bit. You need to dig a lot. I used a mini BobCat.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 November 2011, 20:36,
I can't remember the name but the tool you use got digging holes for fence posts are ideal for the job
19 November 2011, 20:38, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2011, 20:40 by NorthernRaider.)
(19 November 2011, 20:36)JD1 Wrote: I can't remember the name but the tool you use got digging holes for fence posts are ideal for the job

Big Grin A SPADE TongueBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I bury mine sideways so I dont have to dig a deep hole.
(19 November 2011, 20:38)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(19 November 2011, 20:36)JD1 Wrote: I can't remember the name but the tool you use got digging holes for fence posts are ideal for the job

Big Grin A SPADE TongueBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Or a post auger?

I bury mine sideways so I dont have to dig a deep hole.

From page 54 of me little preppin guide Smile
SIMPLE METHOD OF CACHING

One of the best and easiest methods of hiding your emergency equipment is to cache it in some safe location away from your home or retreat. Its always prudent not to put all your eggs in one basket.

The commonest method of caching is to bury or hide it at a place that
A, you can easily find again
B, it cannot be easily found or accidentally uncovered by someone else
C, it is in a position where it can be retrieved during a crisis without
Exposing you to danger
D, It is not likely to become exposed due to erosion or land slip or
Agricultural activity
E, it is not likely to become covered over by development or flood water

There are many locations for you to choose from, some will suit you some will not, it’s up to your own personal choice and the environment you live in. I hid my caches by burying them next to manhole covers, inspection pipe covers in rural locations along the various bug out routes I have chosen.

One of the best types of caching container I have used is the one made from plastic drainage piping, I buy a 4 metre length of 8 or 10 inch diameter heavy duty waste water piping and 8 blanking end caps, I chop up the pipe into 1 meter lengths and use either pipe welding solvent or external grade silicone sealant to seal an end cap onto one end of the pipe, I then fill the pipe with whatever I choose (maps/ rations/medical kit/ tools/ fuels/etc)
Then I add some moisture absorbent crystal sachets to the contents and seal the top on.

One point of note, you don't always need to bury the tube in a vertical position if the area is reasonably undisturbed and is not likely to attract the attention of animals you can bury it about 18 inches down, put a few rocks on it to hold it in place then back fill the hole, remember to put back the turf or whatever was on the surface so it blends in with its surroundings.

19 November 2011, 20:45,
Smartarse Smile

One of these http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~483...ductSearch
19 November 2011, 20:51,
Even better get someone else to dig the hole for you Smile

21 November 2011, 19:24,
I'd use tupperware. Apart from being cheap, it's waterproof, fairly rodent proof and comes in a range of sizes. If you pack items which don't have strong scent, there should be no trouble with the local wildlife getting their mitts on it.