Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EDC, GHB, BOB, etc
10 April 2013, 21:27,
EDC, GHB, BOB, etc
Hi everyone

This is being written on my phone, so may end up as multiple lined sections depending how my phone is feeling.

Okay, lets begin.

EDC, Every Day Carry.

The easiest way to figure your honest EDC is this: If I were to stop you at any point on any day in any location and said Empty your pockets. The things you empty out each day are your EDC. If one day you're camping and have a machete the next you have a hatchet, etc, these do not count. However, if you're walking around the shops without a bag or you're hanging at a friends house playing Xbox or something, the items in your pockets on those 'normal days' are your EDC, things like house keys lighter (if you smoke) and mobile phone.

Next up is the GHB, Get Home Bag.

This is a kit that you have when you are away from home and need some equipment to get you home. For me I make sure my GHB has enough supplies to travel well over 50 miles! I believe the kit is good for over 100 miles...but that's because 100 miles is doable without much kit at all! Most people keep their GHB in the boot of their car. If the bag stays at home, then it's useless as a GHB....because you're already home.

Last up is the BOB or INCH bag. These can be the same or different, depending on your plans. I'll explain.

BOB is Bug Out Bag. Usually this is to keep you relatively comfortable for 3+ days away from the home. Generally there is the option to return home, so most BOB's are built on the expectation that the user will be able to return home at some point.

The INCH bag (often thought of as the same as a BOB) stands for I'm Not Coming Home bag.

The INCH would be best thought of as a BOB that's planning a no-return trip. Which some BOB's are built for...thus why the terms are often interchangeable in many people's eyes.

Okay, on to my thoughts on the kits.

First up: EDC
It's not a 100 mile GHB, but can have the same capabilities, but not the same comfort factor. What I mean is that with the clothes you're wearing, you'd be capable of travelling 100 miles by foot. The facilities provided by the GHB (extra food, water, heat, etc) make the journey more comfortable. So, the EDC just needs to cover everyday things. Stuff like a knife or 2, mobile phone, bottle of watee, and car keys, would be what most people have with them everyday.

The more unusual EDC items, like the knives, torches, etc, are easily kept in a small pouch that is kept in the pocket. Also, housekeys and the keyrings on them are important. It's easy to keep a tin opener, mini torch, and flint on the keys. I use the tin opener to complete the steel and flint system. But the EDC also includes wallet, cash and those things. It's better to add a little extra capability to everyday carry than you think you'll need. Items worth thinking about include lockpicks, prybars (not a fan but some love them) and mini multitools like Leatherman Juice. These extras will allow more capabilities.

As for knives in an EDC, best to go UK carry legal. I opt to carry 4 small knives, most as styled like pens so don't raise eyebrows when someone catches a glimpse of them.

Next up is the GHB. One thing to remember, you'll have your EDC with you. As the GHB is to get you home, consider how far away you'd be, then add 10 miles to it's capability. Also, think about whether you'd want to stop moving on your way home. For me I have the equivalent to a steroided-up running kit. I have a change of shoes and enough water and food to not need to replenish or stay over for a night. Having said that, Murphy's law says I'll be staying over for a night. With this in mind my GHB has the capability to make a stay over more bareable. Not necessarily comfortable, but more easily manageable (emergency shelter, emergency blankets, etc). If you're not able to make a 50+ mile journey in a single push, you'll have to build in a better stop over system than someone capable of a longer journey in a single go. Also, kids and the alike will need a stay. Don't forget an injury is possible and thus a stay over could easily be required! Build in at least a one night sleeping kit.

Okay, now onto the more complex systems of a BOB. I'm not going to talk about this much. I'm just going to say, consider whether you're roughing it in a tent or basha, or whether you're going to a BOL and what stores are at the BOL. With this, include a contingency as to whether the BOL is compromised and uninhabitable, does your BOB allow you to survive a few more days to let you get to plan B.

BOB equipment is hotly debated, but if you use a 3 day camping trip with 10 mile hikes as a starting point, you won't be badly equipped.

Everyone has different requirements and capabilities. But the base principles are the same.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 April 2013, 21:43,
RE: EDC, GHB, BOB, etc
i am not sure about your EDC,.... i dont think that EDC equipment needs to be in your pocket all the time,..I realise that the `C` stands for carry, but thats not always possible [ depending on your job].

I my case my EDC is in a bag that is always close at hand whenever I am out of the house
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 April 2013, 21:57,
(10 April 2013, 21:43)Highlander Wrote: I my case my EDC is in a bag that is always close at hand whenever I am out of the house

Do you carry that same stuff with you on weekends when you're not working? If not, it isn't an EDC. I'd call it work gear or a work carry. MY definition of EDC is to the letter EVERY DAY carry. Not a weekday carry or weekend carry. I transfer my EDC items onto my person when I'm in work in my uniform, then it goes back to pockets when I'm back in my jeans and tshirt.

If I stopped you while you were out shopping, would you have that bag with you and all the same gear in it?
10 April 2013, 22:09, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2013, 22:13 by Highlander.)
(10 April 2013, 21:57)Scythe13 Wrote:
(10 April 2013, 21:43)Highlander Wrote: I my case my EDC is in a bag that is always close at hand whenever I am out of the house

Do you carry that same stuff with you on weekends when you're not working? If not, it isn't an EDC. I'd call it work gear or a work carry. MY definition of EDC is to the letter EVERY DAY carry. Not a weekday carry or weekend carry. I transfer my EDC items onto my person when I'm in work in my uniform, then it goes back to pockets when I'm back in my jeans and tshirt.

If I stopped you while you were out shopping, would you have that bag with you and all the same gear in it?

Very good question,.... in this case I would have to say I have a work carry bag WCB,.... because my bag is always in my van,... although that van is just outside my house [ within my drive]

.... but I then have the very same gear in my jacket if I am walking the dogs on the weekend,... so I guess I have a WCB and a HCJ [ home carry jacket]...Smile

.... but it is something people need to think about, it would be no good haveing equipment at one point on a work day and not with you on a day off, not everything a person might have would suit both work and home,... so EDC items may need to be doubled up on so you have two lots
10 April 2013, 22:27,
Looks to me like you're reassessing your view of what EDC means.

Most days I have more than my basic EDC with me, same as how you have that stuff in your bag or jacket. But my day carry and my Every Day Carry are different. On a weekend I'll have a bag with a reasonable little FAK in it as well as other stuff, but I know there are certain things I'll always carry, car keys, phone, EDC pouch that has knives and the alike in it. Then I add gear depending on what I'm doing. If I'm popping into town I'll have differwnt extra gear than I would if I was heading into the woods.

The only time I don't have full EDC is if I'm going on a plane haha.
11 April 2013, 07:53,
We should always be reassessing our gear and how we use it ....
11 April 2013, 08:30,
(11 April 2013, 07:53)Highlander Wrote: We should always be reassessing our gear and how we use it ....

Definitely.

I think there are 'staples' to equipment. These are the foundations of the gear above, e.g. knife, FAK, water, food, etc
12 April 2013, 22:27,
I feel you have it very well sorted out Scythe, and it will be different for each person.

Some people break it down into levels;

Level one; what is in you pockets at any time.

Level two: what you add too your pocket gear when you walk out the door

Level three; Special gear for specific uses not normally carried.

Different people have different requirements or limitations based on location and job. I carry different level one gear than another person and my level 2 gear might be completely illigal in another area.

Even outside the "legal" boundries, I have developed an EDC group that is comfortable for me.

[Image: Picture271_zpsb5efedd4.jpg]

The picture shows what will be on my person at any waking moment. Included are two ways to make fire, three seperate cutting devices, tweezers, toothpick, scissors, light, signal whistle/w emergency meds, compass and a carabiner.

Add to that the boot laces, belt/buckle, eyeglass lenses for fire starting, and assorted fabrics in my clothing and I am comfortable with those limited capabilities.
12 April 2013, 23:57,
No can opener MB? I thought you'd be more prepared than that? Haha
13 April 2013, 00:26, (This post was last modified: 13 April 2013, 00:31 by Mortblanc.)
Don't need a can opener, I live on raw meat and tree bark!

Really, if there is a can that needs gettin ginto I can probably get into it with one of the knife blades. I have done so many times.

There is always the opener in the kitchen if I am at home and I keep a GI p38 opener in each vehicle and they are scattered through the kits and on the various SAK and multitools lying about.