Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The power station in your airing cupboard
12 April 2013, 11:10,
The power station in your airing cupboard
Very interesting and one to watch.
I would like one that could bolt-on to my wood burning stove!

http://www.moneyweek.com/investment-advi...%2BMorning

Cheers Juice.
walk outside the box
12 April 2013, 11:26,
RE: The power station in your airing cupboard
Very interesting.

One thing I like is that power generation used to be much more localised. So I guess this is the ultimate localisation system haha.

Would stop powercuts effecting your daily life.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 April 2013, 11:58,
Sounds like a great idea. I would sign up for 1 tomorrow if they offered a reduction in my electric bill
12 April 2013, 19:50,
These are not new but, as the article says, they have suffered reliability problems. They qualify for Feed-In Tariffs, like solar PV panels, so can represent a good investment. The beauty of them is that they generate electricity when you are more likely to need it (e.g. boiler is on in the evening to provide heat. Electricity also needed in the evening for lighting, TV, cooking, etc.), whereas solar PV tends to generate electricity during periods of lower demand. The big difference between MicroCHP and solar PV, is that I can't see a MicroCHP system lasting 25 years. This would need to be factored in when working out your payback period.

From a survival standpoint, they are hi-tech, rely on the gas supply continuing, and would almost certainly need electricity to start up and run, so not an ideal off-grid solution.

Now, if someone made one that would use the waste heat going up the chimney from my Rayburn, THAT would be interesting!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.