Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on homegrown militia?
18 April 2013, 16:49,
RE: Thoughts on homegrown militia?
Two things to keep in mind;

1. SHTF there are NO ordinary citizens.

2. No one is born with insticntive knodledge of how to handle weapons.

The general scope of the question was concerning how to organize and TRAIN a defenseive militia.

Firearms training and qualification for militaty troops is one week during basic training. One day of that is basic knowledge of weapon and safety. The rest of the week is sighting in the weapon and target qualification. A good trainer can teach the average person to safely handle a weapon in one all day session.

You TRAIN your troops before you hand them weapons of any kind, gun, knife or wooden club. Otherwise they are simply people making noise and smelling badly.

You also train them in defense, movement and operation as a unit. You train them in discipline in a crisis situation, first aid, sanitation, communications and fieldcraft (bushcraft).

I must stress again, weapons training in the U.S. is one week out of a 12 week basic course. Non weapons related topic take 12/1 priority in the building of a basic militiaman. And each country and environment will have different req
18 April 2013, 16:51,
Militia no,.... the average person is never going to get any sort of military type organization going, no-one will have enough trust in others for that to work, not many will be willing to obey orders especially at 4am on a rainy morning,..and everyone will have their own agenda... all you could wish for is muscle,..maybe

What you might be able to do if form a vigilante group, the difference between the two is everything done on a voluntary basis,.i.e. you are there when you have time,... Northern Ireland showed Vigilantes in the best way, if they wanted to man a barricade then people either turned up or they didn't

The key to forming such a group, is making the person want to take part, chances are, he will not be a soldier, he will not be under any orders, ...he needs to want to join.

Vigilante groups in NI, were often in very high numbers, there was no structure to the group, there were no orders other that in a general way,... they were `led` by certain people,...they were a loose form of protection.

Often one vigilante group was in touch with other vigilante groups on another street, they used two way radios, if one group needed extra muscle they could call it up

....but were they in any form a Militia?,.. No
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 April 2013, 17:12,
Sad
(18 April 2013, 16:51)Highlander Wrote: Militia no,.... the average person is never going to get any sort of military type organization going, no-one will have enough trust in others for that to work, not many will be willing to obey orders especially at 4am on a rainy morning,..and everyone will have their own agenda... all you could wish for is muscle,..maybe

What you might be able to do if form a vigilante group, the difference between the two is everything done on a voluntary basis,.i.e. you are there when you have time,... Northern Ireland showed Vigilantes in the best way, if they wanted to man a barricade then people either turned up or they didn't

The key to forming such a group, is making the person want to take part, chances are, he will not be a soldier, he will not be under any orders, ...he needs to want to join.

Vigilante groups in NI, were often in very high numbers, there was no structure to the group, there were no orders other that in a general way,... they were `led` by certain people,...they were a loose form of protection.

Often one vigilante group was in touch with other vigilante groups on another street, they used two way radios, if one group needed extra muscle they could call it up

....but were they in any form a Militia?,.. No

Absolutely, positively depends on what you define as "militia".

The groups that you describe are the very groups that jell into protective defense groups in crisis situations. They are also the type of group I sugested one join and/or organize in the initial reply.

During WW2 your rural areas of GB were saturated by trainers organizing small well trained groups as possible resistance fighters should the Germans succeed in invasion. Those units were kept so secret that most of the wives of the members did not know their men were involved.

Likewise the women were well organized and trained, and their husbands did not realize there was a wireless center operating out of their potting shed. Not all those knitting circles were what they appeared!

They were sworn to secracy and many have not told what they did to this day.

The point is that the Anglo Saxon culture, even under today's attacks, has the ability to get with a program if there is a crisis.
18 April 2013, 17:14,
this is totally a non starter as far as i am concerned, i am NOT going to start discussing preps in general and firearms/militia in particular with anyone and especially not the neighbours, first thing you know the armed response wallies will be bombing up the street heading for my front door. no thank you, NO,NO,NO.!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 April 2013, 17:18,
(18 April 2013, 16:49)Mortblanc Wrote: Two things to keep in mind;

1. SHTF there are NO ordinary citizens.

2. No one is born with insticntive knodledge of how to handle weapons.

The general scope of the question was concerning how to organize and TRAIN a defenseive militia.

Firearms training and qualification for militaty troops is one week during basic training. One day of that is basic knowledge of weapon and safety. The rest of the week is sighting in the weapon and target qualification. A good trainer can teach the average person to safely handle a weapon in one all day session.

You TRAIN your troops before you hand them weapons of any kind, gun, knife or wooden club. Otherwise they are simply people making noise and smelling badly.

You also train them in defense, movement and operation as a unit. You train them in discipline in a crisis situation, first aid, sanitation, communications and fieldcraft (bushcraft).

I must stress again, weapons training in the U.S. is one week out of a 12 week basic course. Non weapons related topic take 12/1 priority in the building of a basic militiaman. And each country and environment will have different req

This is in line with my thinking also.
And exactly the kind of structured answer I was hoping for.

Big Paul I'm not suggesting that people organise themselves now, but know how to do so in an event they'd need to, gaining the skills relevant to pass on and train others can be attained perfectly legally in this country and is just one more step in preparing for the worse.
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
18 April 2013, 17:27,
after an event and if it's one that leads to RWOL then I can see some communities being setup with some part of that group acting as security/law bringers

doesn't mean that they will be military trained but could cause people problems though espically if they are in small groups or even on there own, like a family walking up to the gates of a lone wanderer.

saying that if they ever came up against a group of raiders (for want of a better word) that had some military training then they could get decimated.
18 April 2013, 17:29,
i think a lot of us will be bugging out post SHTF with our family groups, so in most cases i cant see this happening, you will have to be very careful who you accept into that group and IF you arm them you will have to be very sure of them, personally i trust NO ONE that much!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 April 2013, 17:33,
I would be very wary of such groups in the early days post collapse

they could be there today and gone tomorrow and in quite messy ways to....
18 April 2013, 17:36,
(18 April 2013, 17:33)I-K-E Wrote: I would be very wary of such groups in the early days post collapse

they could be there today and gone tomorrow and in quite messy ways to....

yes, my thoughts too, better to keep your head down, stay shtum.
18 April 2013, 17:42, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2013, 17:43 by Jack.)
Couldn't agree more and there would be no way of vetting, I have friends and family I know I could not trust but people band together in the long run, this country has shown this time after time and you have to hope that its the people that wish to protect that do first before the people that wish to pillage.
And the problem with bugging out is that you may not be as safe as you think, as many other people will have the same ideas, or for some of us won't be an option at all due to disabilities or health conditions. I will be deciding to bunker down but this is an issue for a different post, the quests is intended for those of us that stay in a populated area, or after bugging out find that they have to band together to survive 'raiders', we cannot guess what will happen which is in essence why we do what we do

I meant question, not "quest" sorry
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.