Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prepper seed bank/swop
18 April 2013, 10:46,
Prepper seed bank/swop
I know a lot of our members here like to grow their own fruit and veg and realise the importance of good seedstock. Would there be any interest in members sending and recieving seeds from each other, I'm always looking out for good plants that taste like they used to and if they are "heirloom" varieties even better. I have some Borlotti bean seeds that I save every year from my crop, they taste great and are good croppers if fed and watered. They will not tolerate frost though so be carefull. They are about the size of Pinto beans but with a red mottled appearance. You can pick them fresh or leave to dry. Highly nutritious

http://www.borlotti.com/

I'm willing to post 20 Borlotti, what ya got to trade for them?
18 April 2013, 11:53,
RE: Prepper seed bank/swop
I was thinking about this a few nights ago. I want to go out and get complete sets of seeds for when TSHTF and keep them. Only thing is that I don't know much about them.

Perhaps we need a SUK seed manager who can coordinate this for those that are interested....

Anyone interested?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 April 2013, 12:09,
I suppose we could start by making a list of everything we are able to trade seedwise. Possibly create an area where members could see what is available, with tips how to grow and harvest. Members could then trade through PMs? or however they think fit. As well as seeds there would be no reason why we could not send small cuttings. For instance i have an old Victorian variety of Gooseberry that just makes the best Jam ever, I could send seed, but it would be quicker from a cutting, the same with Blackcurrants.
18 April 2013, 14:35,
Yeah sounds good to me , I have loads of heirloom seeds, I will have a look and list out what I have to exchange, very good post TH many thanks
18 April 2013, 15:26,
sounds like a great idea, I wish I could contribute, but as this is my first year really gardening and I'm broke I'm having to grow from cheap hybrid seeds, so nothing to trade.

It's a great idea though
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
18 April 2013, 15:37,
(18 April 2013, 15:26)preservefreak Wrote: sounds like a great idea, I wish I could contribute, but as this is my first year really gardening and I'm broke I'm having to grow from cheap hybrid seeds, so nothing to trade.

It's a great idea though

No worries we all gotta start somewhere. If you want some Borlotti Beans for planting I will send you a few, PM me with details, post will be nothing as they don't weigh much. Plant after ALL danger of frost has passed, feed and water well in a sunny position and start picking when the pods get fat, or leave them on plant to dry for planting next year and for use as dried beans.
18 April 2013, 17:31,
great idea for people that have the space to grow and if seed saving is undertaken and also coordinated then anyone that looses a crop either to bad weather or anything else then the heirloom seeds could be traded again

this would strengthen the supply of the more tradition varieties

It's a shame I've no garden really
18 April 2013, 19:13,
If you have room for a few pots outside you can grow a surprising amount of stuff, beans, peas, toms, tatties all the herbs, even using a windowsill you could keep yourself going with a few lettuce for instance.
19 April 2013, 15:25,
heirloom seeds straight shooter has to exchange "just to kick off" and get you going (tomatoes 2 lots of 5 ) ( cucumbers 2 lots of 5 ) loads more to follow folks......if you have nothing to trade in THATS ALRIGHT free to good home ...will be away till sunday (recon on some more BOLS )
19 April 2013, 15:35,
We're starting planting this summer, to build winter crops and the alike. Should be a fun exercise and will hopefully be very fruitful (pardon the pun, I couldn't resist).

Going for some crazy stuff, but I don't want to jinx it, so won't say too much at the moment. Will keep everyone up to date with it all.

When we get crops coming in, we'll be happy to swap seeds and the alike.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin