Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catapult hunting?
21 April 2013, 09:37,
catapult hunting?
ive just been wondering since its illegal to hunt with a bow/crossbow in the uk, is it illegal to hunt with a catapult?
Winter is coming
21 April 2013, 09:44,
RE: catapult hunting?
(21 April 2013, 09:37)Hex Wrote: ive just been wondering since its illegal to hunt with a bow/crossbow in the uk, is it illegal to hunt with a catapult?

probably, TPTB ban EVERYTHING that fun!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 April 2013, 09:54, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2013, 09:56 by Jack.)
No it is not illegal to hunt small quarry species with a catapult.
HOWEVER
it is illegal to abuse the animal.
If you can be sure to kill the animal outright and not just harm it over and over with non lethal shots (there by torturing the critter) then hunting with a catapult is fine...
Iv seen accuracy demonstrated with a catapult sub 20 yards you'd be hard pressed to replicate with a rifle, however, it takes time to master a catapult.
I make them out of laminate as find that laminated birch ply has excellent qualities, and looks the dogs too!
Go on youtube and there's a few English catapult hunting vids and accuracy demonstrations with people shooting duck or blasting marbles out of mid air!

Here's the best youtube vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXASb6V0O8U
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
21 April 2013, 10:01,
however, unless you are on your own land, you are trespassing and i assume that you could be arrested for carrying a weapon on some one elses land.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 April 2013, 10:01, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2013, 10:02 by Jack.)
You also want to make damn sure you have permission to shoot on what ever land you intend to do so on to... You + a catapult + no permision = a few years stretch for "armed trespass"

Beat me to it Paul Wink
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
21 April 2013, 10:02,
[quote='Jack' pid='54619' dateline='1366534467']
No it is not illegal to hunt small quarry species with a catapult.
HOWEVER
it is illegal to abuse the animal.
If you can be sure to kill the animal outright and not just harm it over and over with non lethal shots (there by torturing the critter) then hunting with a catapult is fine...
Iv seen accuracy demonstrated with a catapult sub 20 yards you'd be hard pressed to replicate with a rifle, however, it takes time to master a catapult.
I make them out of laminate as find that laminated birch ply has excellent qualities, and looks the dogs too!
Go on youtube and there's a few English catapult hunting vids and accuracy demonstrations with people shooting duck or blasting marbles out of mid air!

Here's the best youtube vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXASb6V0O8U
[/qu

now this is good ,travellers have been hunting with this for years
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
21 April 2013, 10:05,
(21 April 2013, 10:01)Jack Wrote: You also want to make damn sure you have permission to shoot on what ever land you intend to do so on to... You + a catapult + no permision = a few years stretch for "armed trespass"

Beat me to it Paul Wink

goes for any kind of hunting-even the legal type- if on some one elses land you need permission to be there, and WRITTEN proof would be best and insurance as well!
21 April 2013, 10:07,
I still would not hunt game with a catapult even though I would say I'm proficient enough to humanly kill at air rifle ranges (35yards). This is because the moment you add wind the ammunition deviates... The moment you shoot the rabbit may see the ball baring or marble headed toward him and move away either causing harm to the body or a missed shot, catapults fire much slower heavier ammo then air rifles and can be reacted to by quarry.
So I use an air rifle for now, but keep my catapult skills honed because its fun to do so and if I need to use such a tool post event I know I can do so.
21 April 2013, 10:11,
see also SLINGBOW on youtube.
21 April 2013, 10:15, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2013, 10:21 by Jack.)
That's right Paul, and its the hardest part about any lawful shooting practice in the UK... I remember when I was a kid my dad would take me to the woods near where we lived in Wales and the police wouldn't bat an eyelid knowing what we where doing and would ask how the rabbits where doing coming home... I crossed the road from one side of my permission to another (all by the book) and ended up with armed police in an X5 and transit van waiting for me to come back to said road! Brown trousers moment! And all because a woman whome drove past me, on a bloody country road might I add, recognised I had a gun bag (perfectly legal to be in public with rifle in its bag, not loaded or cocked).

I don't know off hand if the slingbow would be deemed illegal to hunt with but bolts and arrows certainly are so would say it should be illegal in the govs eyes. If an air rifle is "capable" of shooting over 12/ft lbs its illegal (unless on a valid ticket), if a rifle is "capable" of shooting an arrow its illegal (see fx verminator mk2)... It's all about the immediate capability of a tool/weapon.
When I say 'illegal' I mean illegal to shoot game with.

-t the very least-