Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tomahawk throwing
22 April 2013, 15:46,
Tomahawk throwing
As most of you know, I'm not a massive fan of the tomahawk.

Been looking into them more recently, and I'm still not sold on them. As a result, the only way to forgo my ignorance of use it to get one. But I'm not going to be getting one blindly. I'm after learning how to use one properly before I get one and use it.

This desire to learn has made me come across this video that I'm sure many of you tomahawk fans will like.

Covers sharpening and throwing of the tomahawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9AAxoJeAyM

Oh, and Dave Canterberry is an absolute survival legend, so it's worth watching to get into more of his videos.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 April 2013, 17:20,
RE: Tomahawk throwing
I have a sog hawk, its great. Theres so many to choose from just wish there were more available in the uk
22 April 2013, 18:32, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2013, 19:25 by Mortblanc.)
Dave Canterberry is a legend all right!

He is a legendary charlatan!

The reason he is on U-tube is due to his being dropped by every TV network in our nation due to false promotion of almost every fact in his resume. He claimed military rank he never held, completion of courses he never attended and mastery of capabilities he had never practiced.

If you wish to lear to throw a tomahawk and check out the styles you desire you need to visit a historic reenactment of the American Frontier ear. I know they hold such events in GB. In fact a Roman or Celtic event would do.

The tomahawk is the standard form of "Frankish axe" or Fransisca, that was popular all over europe and into America during the frontier. Back in those days it was simply called an "axe".

Tomahawk is an Algonquin word used for a war club.

My own favorite belt axe is this model. It is light, does a good bushcraft job and can be thrown is necessary. I own a crate load of hawks and for real life use this is my favorite

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories...AXE-MOHAWK

If you need a selection here is three pages of the best available. almost all of them can be thrown, as can a standar camp hatchet or single bit axe once you learn the technique.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/473/1

Tomahawks are actually very inefficient cutting tools for general purpose work. That is why I chose the style I use.

The standard belt axe is better balanced and usually has better steel (if you buy a good quality unit), unless the tomahawk is a custom made item it is usually cast from mild steel and will have either India or China stamped as the place of origin, no matter whose label is on it.

Steer away from the Cold Steel hawks they are all cast and of questionable quality.

that 4 step technique works with any axe. If the handle is tilted out on impact move 1/4 step closer, it the handle is tilted in toward the target move one step back.

Once you find your range you can also DOUBLE the distance and throw from 8 steps, or 12 or 16.

To throw a heavy knife, which is more difficult, you must add 1/2 -1 step extra. When it stick if the handle is tilted down move back 1/2 step, if the handle is tilted up move closer 1/2 step.

Do not try to start kife throwing with a small light knife like a paring knife or mora or one of the bogus "throwing knives" from the back of a magazine. Find yourself a big 8" chefs knife at a boot sale.

Here's my throwing set used for competition, but there's nothin gthere I would use for GP work or daily tasks.

[Image: Picture683_zpsec425f34.jpg]
23 April 2013, 13:31,
Thanks for that MB.

I always thought he was awesome, but I guess not.

We don't really hear much about American Stars over here in the UK. Good to know the truth.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 April 2013, 14:18,
I like his vids he knows some great stuff but I know he was taken off dual survivor because if his tall tales