Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
webbing styles.
24 April 2013, 21:18,
webbing styles.
Never worn webbing, but will need some for um... camping trips on the bike, is there a specific type, that is good for hanging pouches off the suspender part, as opposed to the belt part?

The bike will carry the Bergen/haversack part mostly, im just interested in few waist pouches, mainly water bottles (kidney area?), and chest area pouches for comms, or other stuff.

Any advice, ie allice, pattern 58, mollee, etc?

franc.
24 April 2013, 21:37,
RE: webbing styles.
Can't help with this one franc, but someone will be along in a bit than can and will help you.
24 April 2013, 21:43,
Issue kit is generally crap, our issue kit anyway...
What items do you want to have on your webbing? Knives are better placed in a belt hung leather sheath, bino's in your bergen or round your neck... Unless you have a few grenades and magazines you need on your person I'd just get a nice light weight daysack and clothing with an array of pockets.
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
24 April 2013, 21:56,
I can only speak about the 58 pattern kit, and I found this equipment to be very good, the pouches are not just threaded on the belt, they have metal pieces that fit into holes in the webbing, and can be anywhere along the whole length that you wish as the holes are about every half inch.... if this `holes` thing sounds a bit dodgy I can assure you it is not,..its just the best way to explain it,... you really need to see it yourself

the 58 pattern doesn't allow you to hang pouches from the belt though,.. the belt does have two rings towards the back that could be used, they are designed to hang your rolled up cape/carrier

...and the 58 pattern doesn't have chest pouches, you would need to go back to a WW11 webbing to get that, although I think the new UK military kit may have them

dont just think about Army though, also consider Police equipment, especially American belt kit
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 April 2013, 12:08,
This is something I'm looking into myself.

So far, the best I've come across is the Molle System. It's the most versatile for pouches and it's very easy to fit stuff to.

To the best of my research, a molle system allows greater adaptability for situation.

I'm looking at getting my FAC ASAP, and with that I'll be running .22 magazines, a knife, and an air pistol plus pouches for that too. So, I'll end up customising a rig for just how I want it. That's why I'm opting for a molle system. As for comms and water, Water will be CamalPak on the back of my rig and comms will be pouched on the rig.

Only problem is, pouches cost a lot for good quality.

Checking the things you want to carry, I'm not sure why you'd want waist pouches. Many bags come with a waist strap, and on there you can easily clip pouches.

My BOB has a waist strap, and I've got my binoculars on one side and a multi-tool on the other. On my shoulder straps I have a nice full tang knife (it sticks forward a little, but that'd be easily fixed if I thought it was a problem (just lower the top section with paracord so it sits lower on the strap instead of up high on the shoulder curve). Comms could easily clip into the other strap if I wanted to go down that route.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 April 2013, 12:56,
Mollee is good and you can easily attach Alice clips to it..
if you want water on your waist go for a padded mollee waist belt and remember to load it evenly as possible to avoid discomfort.

Butt packs can go on the back for other items you don't need until you have made camp or stopped on your "bike rides"

I have recently got some new mollee stuff i need to review and managed to clip some Alice stuff too when i needed
25 April 2013, 13:00,
Basically im after some webbing, that i can use for my EDC stuff, like keys, torches, pens, and phone. When cycling.

Not to bulky at waist level, as it has to go underneath a fleece jacket.

Upgrading it to BOB in time, but just for everyday stuff, and my small binoculars, camera and maybe a baofeng radio that everyone is raveing about at the moment. Ill have a better idea of my needs after i start heavy duty camping in the summer, but ideas on what the best webbing/rigs are for chest mounted stuff.
25 April 2013, 13:09,
(25 April 2013, 13:00)Franc Wrote: Basically im after some webbing, that i can use for my EDC stuff, like keys, torches, pens, and phone. When cycling.

Not to bulky at waist level, as it has to go underneath a fleece jacket.

Upgrading it to BOB in time, but just for everyday stuff, and my small binoculars, camera and maybe a baofeng radio that everyone is raveing about at the moment. Ill have a better idea of my needs after i start heavy duty camping in the summer, but ideas on what the best webbing/rigs are for chest mounted stuff.

Depending on how big your pone and torch are you could try a expedition Anemone i fitted a small pen sized torch plasters, spare AAAs camping mirror, Emergency whistle, ferro rod, lighter and mini saw. i can send a pic when i get home if you need but there are plenty of vids on youtube.
It will also fit under a jacket

as for chest rigs just be aware when you start getting warm it is harder to cool down as you can not really take it off. but if your get one make sure it is one you can move and rearrange the pouches on to best suit you
25 April 2013, 13:31,
The anemone is a good idea, but im leaning towards a patrol vest now, seen them on ebay, if i get it in tan, it would fit the colour scheme. the main part is that i need to carry the phones/radio, binoculars, and small camera in pouches or front accessible pockets, as until shtf ill be hiding it under a loose fleece jacket, so i dont scare the normals. while cycling.

You tend to get a lot of odd looks, when your dressed like a squaddie, while on a push bike in a civvy tent.
25 April 2013, 15:47,
If it's for cycling, I'd just go CamalBak and then put stuff inside that.

If it's road cycling, just a water bottle. Wife does triathlons and laughs at me when I bag up. Apparently serious road cyclists don't wear bags :-(
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin