Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Navigating by the Stars
27 April 2013, 21:17,
RE: Navigating by the Stars
(27 April 2013, 08:43)Scythe13 Wrote: The pole shift is currently a minor thing. So I'm not too worried about that.

I'm more concerned with the changes an EMP might have to a compass. It might do nothing, but I'm not taking that risk. Plus being able to navigate by the stars is cool!

I would suspect that an EMP, as unlikely as that is to happen, would reverse the polarity of the compass.

Back in the olden days of the 1970s when I first began prepping, EMP from a nuke event was one of the normal expectations of the cold war era. We were taught that the polarity would reverse on magnets and batteries exposed to the event.

The procedure was simple back then, north would be south on the compass needle and one disconnected the car battery, push started the vehicle, then hooked the cables up in reverse. Pos would be the new neg... You charged it for an hour and drove away, if there was anything left to drive to.

Not enough computers and electronics to worry over back then and hardly anything in a vehicle to go off course.

The rapid movement of the poles is suspected to be due to our overdue polar reversal. We have gone double the normal time for the event. Not to fear, since the shift usually takes several hundred to a thousand years, which is about right with the present 40k per year rate of change.
28 April 2013, 09:44,
(27 April 2013, 21:17)Mortblanc Wrote: Back in the olden days of the 1970s when I first began prepping, EMP from a nuke event was one of the normal expectations of the cold war era. We were taught that the polarity would reverse on magnets and batteries exposed to the event.

The procedure was simple back then, north would be south on the compass needle and one disconnected the car battery, push started the vehicle, then hooked the cables up in reverse. Pos would be the new neg... You charged it for an hour and drove away, if there was anything left to drive to.

Not enough computers and electronics to worry over back then and hardly anything in a vehicle to go off course.

The rapid movement of the poles is suspected to be due to our overdue polar reversal. We have gone double the normal time for the event. Not to fear, since the shift usually takes several hundred to a thousand years, which is about right with the present 40k per year rate of change.

Interesting post,..if there is anything else you can tell us about what you learnt during that time, it would all be very interesting,.. I didnt know anything about the battery terminals
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 April 2013, 14:33,
Mort please let us know how to start a car with no battery connected?

"push starting" only works if the battery is +10v or so, enough to energise the coil to produce a spark.

alternators also have to be energised to generate any power!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
27 May 2013, 20:02,
might help .....

Survive the jive (youtube )
27 May 2013, 21:04,
For more on natural navigation, including the sun, plants, weather, etc, have a look here:

http://www.naturalnavigator.com
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
28 May 2013, 01:47, (This post was last modified: 28 May 2013, 01:54 by Timelord.)
All the diesels will not need a coil to start. Pushing them will be a little harder due to the high compression. In winter the engine may need to be warmed first as the glow plugs won't be operational without a battery. Modern diesels MAY require an electrical power source to allow the sensors to actuate the start up procedure. Older diesels just need the fuel cut off solenoid bypassing.
The EMP affecting a compass is an interesting concept. Is this fact? Would a "Silva" type orienteering compass be affected, seeing as only the needle itself might be conductive? Alternatively, the standard military and old brass pocket type compasses come in their own flip top metal cases. Might this be adequate as shielding? Interesting!!

Also, in modern vehicles, it would be necessary to have a battery connected to complete the circuit for the electrics. Without the battery in circuit the alternator will blow the diode pack and then there will at best be "no charging circuit" and at worst and more likely with most vehicles today, the engine will not run due the increased amount of electric/electronic control. Some diesels, especially old models (pre 2000's) will run without the battery in circuit, but the fuel cut off solenoid needs to be disabled.

And this will still kill the alternator for further use (unless you disconnect it first -lol)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
28 May 2013, 07:25,
TL,

ALL modern diesels since around 2001ish wouldnt run un a theoretical EMP wipe......

all modern "common rail" diesels, as far as i know use elctronic injectors, energising a coil to inject fuel, no power, no injection, no start!

the fuel pressure regulation is quite a sophisticated process too, of course you need very high pressures in a common rail diesel.

and bypassing a cut off solenoid is outwith a lot of preppers skill sets i would wager.
28 May 2013, 10:10,
Electric fuel ct off solonoids
Electric Lift pumps
Electric Injector pumps
Electric Pre heaters
Electric ignition modules
Electric engine time units

All have to be considered on modern diesels unfortunately.

28 May 2013, 10:47,
Electric fuel pressure control solenoids
Electric fuel injectors
Hall effect cam/crank sensors
MAP/MAF sensors
CANBUS network controller, any of them, body ECU, ABS ecu, integration relays, etc etc (ive see, particularly on peugeot/citroen, a faulty INDICATOR/WIPER SWITCH (also known as comm2000 unit), cause a non start)

In theory most CANBUS wiring faults, including fried ecu's, will crash the network, causing a non start.

I could go on all day lol, the list is literally endless!
16 October 2018, 07:46,
Whop, I suggest you a tool which I tried and which helped me to navigate even easier than with a stars Big Grin It is Field Navigator bit.ly/2NtEchc