Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read as your appliances may become useless
4 May 2013, 01:45,
Read as your appliances may become useless
I hope this does not happen across the pond or here in the states. But one never knows.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/...tions.html
4 May 2013, 02:18,
RE: Read as your appliances may become useless
Would you rather have selected appliances turned off or rolling brown-outs?

If you have a brown-out the fridge, and everything else, is off!

Fridges are long term appliances. My Mom has one on the garage that was bought new in the '60s, still running. It will take 200 years to replace al the old ones with the power company controlled models.
4 May 2013, 03:27,
Mortblanc
I personally don't want either and I sure hate the idea of doing without a refrigerator if the SHTF.
But my point was if your appliances are old and you think they may not make it then purchase a new one now, before the 3 years stated in the article.
And why should they be allowed acess to our stuff. Gives me the creeps. Worse than cameras all over the place watching you pick your nose.
4 May 2013, 08:06,
SHTF you expect your fridge to work?

No one wants electrical shut down, but it is a fact of life even today and in developed countries.

Here in the states some of the areas out west, mainly California, must endure rolling blackouts in summer due to demand peaks for Air conditioning use.

They purchase their power from places as far away as Texas and the flow is transferred for almost 1500 miles to the west coast.

So,,,if SHTF means the fridge is out, or power interruptions, then it is already in progress in the western U.S. and they just consider it a seasonal irritation.

As for the intrusion into life, I agree, but many don't.

The surveillance is "for your own safety'.
The appliance shutoff devices are just to save you money.
The gun and knife laws are to protect you from yourself.

and now some fool is telling me that if I voluntarily plug a computer monitor/GPS into my car he will lower my insurance rates! I'll guarantee that 10 minutes plugged into my vehicle and they would cancel my policy!

I do not know about your utilities in GB, but in the U.S. electric is privately distributed and it would have nothing to do with the government if such devices were installed on the appliances.
4 May 2013, 08:10,
like Mortblanc says, after TSHTF you still expect your fridge(and other appliances) to work?? one of the main preps we all allow for is loss of electrical power post SHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 09:32,
I once read or saw something about a cold store that could be made from chicken wire and coal, but for the life of me I cannot remember were, I've search the web but couldn't find anything, the cold store was in Africa, I think, it wasn't as cool as a fridge but they were able to keep food stuffs and such other things relatively cool.

Has anybody else seen or heard of a similar thing? it may help in SHTF occurrence if we lose power.
4 May 2013, 09:47,
we used to have things called meat safes in this country(i have one), its a wooden box with metal mesh on the front to keep flies out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 12:53,
Well if I was rich as some I would have solar power.
I have not had a brown out here in California. Maybe some of the larger cities like LA and San Fran.
I stated that I would hate to do without a refrigerator if the SHTF, which was an interjected thought and I meant it will be difficult to do without one period.
The chip distrubs me. That means they are already thinking about controlling one further. Here in the states and/or California they have drones, gun confiscation (yeah right the ones that aren't suposed to have them) and water control etc., etc, etc.
Big Paul
We called those things Pie safes.
Jan
I have heard of the ones made with clay pots. You have a huge clay pot, then a smaller one inside with sand around it. Then you wet it all down good and fill the sand up with water, put your food stuff inside and cover with a wet cloth. What makes it work is the evaporation.
4 May 2013, 12:59,
(4 May 2013, 12:53)Ellen Wrote: Big Paul
We called those things Pie safes.

i thought youd call it something differentTongue i've never heard of a pie safe!Big Grin
4 May 2013, 13:15,
(4 May 2013, 02:18)Mortblanc Wrote: Would you rather have selected appliances turned off or rolling brown-outs?

If you have a brown-out the fridge, and everything else, is off!

Fridges are long term appliances. My Mom has one on the garage that was bought new in the '60s, still running. It will take 200 years to replace al the old ones with the power company controlled models.

dont want any ,what i do want is my bloody power to be sorted out ,who are the UK trying to kid with this green power we are leading the way, bullshit we have the USA and china burning so much that us in the UK are so tiny it will make no difference
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!