Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun availability via printer - maybe!
6 May 2013, 16:01,
Gun availability via printer - maybe!
Just came across this in the news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

It might have some way to go but there seem to be possibilities. What do you think?

6 May 2013, 16:10,
RE: Gun availability via printer - maybe!
not a usefull tool ever, makeing a gun is the easy part, any metalworker can get the plans for a simple gun from the internet, and make one in a blacksmiths, or machine shop. The hard part is making the ammo, in any kind of bulk. You can even get the sten gun plans online.
6 May 2013, 16:27,
Maybe I should have put this in Humour...

6 May 2013, 16:37,
just seen it on the news, its a single shot, maybe the ammo's plastic too!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 May 2013, 17:07, (This post was last modified: 6 May 2013, 17:13 by Mortblanc.)
these are being made all over the U.S. in all forms, the m16 platform being the most popular followed by some of the polymer framed handguns.

All it requires is the proper 3D printer and a computer program that can be downloaded from the internet.

It is not a case of "Will it work?", it is already being done successfully.

Polymer frames have eliminated most of the "machine work" from firearms design. 7 of the 10 pistols our Army tested in its last batch of submissions were polymer framed, injection molded. they endured the 5,000 round test well. Our Army already issues the Ruger P95 poly framed pistol as second line issue.

The 3D printer simply eliminates the hydraulic injection press.

This is being touted as the "first" one ever made, but it is not. It may be the first made with sale as a goal.

Small shop owners have been making more advanced platforms for their own use for years. It is legal to build for your own use over here.

The one shown is very crude.
6 May 2013, 18:09,
(6 May 2013, 17:07)Mortblanc Wrote: Small shop owners have been making more advanced platforms for their own use for years.

On 3D printers?

6 May 2013, 18:18,
They are going to be one hell of a problem to the worlds security
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 May 2013, 18:58,
Technology is a double edged sword. Sure it allows us to have our entire music collection on a phone whioch allows video messages but it also allows our Stasi type government to track up and id us at every turn.

I'm keeping my eye on a 3D printer. It is more handy than just for making weapons. Although I want one that can do that also.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 May 2013, 19:23,
This printed gun idea was used as a recent plot line on CSI where the weapon is untraceable

Great idea for world security
6 May 2013, 19:58,
I think it's all hype, making a gun is actually incredibly easy already without an $8000 printer. All you need is a pillar drill and some hand tools - total cost about £100 .