Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival fishing weights
8 May 2013, 21:41,
Survival fishing weights
Im new to fishing but the one peice of kit I loose the most of is weights, still practising my casting out and manage to get the line snagged quite often.been looking at making my own lead weights but discivered these all you need is sand and cloth so are ideal for survival situations http://www.perkons1.com/SANDSINKERS/Sandsinkers.html
8 May 2013, 21:45,
RE: Survival fishing weights
(8 May 2013, 21:41)Metroyeti Wrote: Im new to fishing but the one peice of kit I loose the most of is weights, still practising my casting out and manage to get the line snagged quite often.been looking at making my own lead weights but discivered these all you need is sand and cloth so are ideal for survival situations http://www.perkons1.com/SANDSINKERS/Sandsinkers.html

cheers for that
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 May 2013, 21:50,
Another tip on keeping weights and/or replacing them easily,... on your line put two hooks, one at the end of the line, and the other as high as you require it to catch the fish you are after.

On the bottom hook, secure a small draw string bag, and add a stone, the bag has more chance of staying on than many weights.

I say this with very little knowledge of fishing, but its what I have done a couple of time when I have gone out with just line, hooks and that little bag
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 May 2013, 21:54,
Next time im fishing on the beach im going to test this method
9 May 2013, 09:09,
I would tie the string bag on if I was that desperate, save the hook.

The thing is, you want a weight to be as dense as possible as it is not just holding the line but holding itself also - the larger it is, the more tide and current will take it.

For a decent supply of weights, beads and so on, walk the rocks on the low spring tides, you find loads of stuff. Obviously do not reuse hooks, line or suspect swivels, but you can get loads of terminal tackle like that.
9 May 2013, 10:23, (This post was last modified: 9 May 2013, 10:49 by Tartar Horde.)
Fishing over Rough ground can be very expensive regarding weights and terminal tackle. The only real soultion that helps is using "the Rotten Bottom rig". This enables the weight/sinker to be lost if you get a fish, or get stuck reeling in. The only other suggestion if you don't want to go down this route is to collect stones etc that you can drill and tie on the end of your rig, drilling them makes it easier to attatch as tying the line around a rock is not the most secure method for casting and it can be dangerous if the rock comes loose during casting as the rock will be travelling at a fair MPH. If you are fishing very rough ground I would suggest using a sinker/weight without any wires or grips as the ones with grips are meant for sandy bottoms etc and not rock, they will get stuck very easily.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/Se...ottom-rig/

Here's a simplified version of the rotton bottom rig

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/rotten-bottom-rigs
10 May 2013, 06:54,
Old spark plugs also make good weights for fishing over rocks, tied on with a weak bottom. This way if you catch a fish and the weight gets caught a good pull and the weight breaks off freeing your catch.
Failure is NOT an option
10 May 2013, 18:05,
i know its not as good as making your own but, Lidl has got some fishing gear on sale this week.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2013, 18:57,
(10 May 2013, 18:05)bigpaul Wrote: i know its not as good as making your own but, Lidl has got some fishing gear on sale this week.

will have a look tomorrow just to get some basics as there's a fishery/hobby fishing place near me apart from that not near the coast or a significant river
10 May 2013, 19:00,
(10 May 2013, 18:57)I-K-E Wrote: there's a fishery/hobby fishing place near me apart from that not near the coast or a significant river

yeah same here.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.