Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Birch tree sap! (tapping)
11 May 2013, 21:08,
Lightbulb  Birch tree sap! (tapping)
I think a great addition of survival bushcraft is definitely making use of birch tree sap.I just wanted to give a quick lowdown which may help anyone who is looking to broaden their bushcraft knowledge if they didn't already know.

What you'll need:
1) Sharp knife
2) Small hand made pipe (Fit into slit made by knife)
3) A pot or bowl
4) A sock

Starting of in the early spring period (first weeks of march the best) is definitely the best seeing as the tree is pumping sap through to the branches which inturn helps the leafs bud, during this process tapping is perfect because the resource is endless.

Instruction:
1)Place the sock over the bowl to create a natural filter.
2)Cut in just beneath the bark (3 cm depth) at about waist height, make sure the tree starts dripping a sweet see-through substance.
3)Push the handmade ''wooden pipe'' in the slit made by the knife, make sure it's firmly in, you can do this by hitting it with the handle of the knife or the rear of the head of an axe.
4)Place the bowl or pot under the pipe.( if you have a pot lid you can balance it on the pipe so the sap doesn't get diluted if it was to rain).
5) Come back in 12-24 hours and you pot/bowl should be full.

Pros of Birch tree sap:
It contains sugars,enzymes, proteins and amino acids (building blocks of life) and has also been investigated b scientist because they believe it has a substance withing it that helps cure cancer. Lastly and most importantly YOU CAN MAKE BEER OUT OF IT.

Other uses of the birch tree:
The bark makes great tinder, the buds have anti bacterial properties thus they are used as natural antibiotic, You can squeeze fresh leaves of it in order to ease pain and infection of urinary tract.

What does it look like:
Typical white bark with horizontal cracks, which looks like this...
http://www.devonwildlifetrust.org/i/Down...llogie.jpg

LASTLY:

This is my first time in giving real in depth advice so I hope it looks decent.I was taught this whilst training in the royal marines so it's a definite winner if the military use it, especially as it was on a marksmen course and lastly sorry for any written mistakes, I'm very much a hand on person.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps,

H&S
Where the senses fail us, reason must step in.
Galileo Galilei
11 May 2013, 22:51,
RE: Birch tree sap! (tapping)
Good practical post H&S .....well done to, in my book right now ! many thanks
11 May 2013, 23:36,
Looks good to me, H&S! Many thanks.

Could you use a plastic tube instead of a wooden pipe, do you think? Or would it spoil the quality of the sap?
12 May 2013, 20:03,
(11 May 2013, 23:36)Little Lou Wrote: Looks good to me, H&S! Many thanks.

Could you use a plastic tube instead of a wooden pipe, do you think? Or would it spoil the quality of the sap?

It'll do the same job, the reason why I say wood is because it's an abundance in a forest and doesn't leave a footprint.

I consider the bushcrafter to be someone who carries less than a survivalist but uses nature more to their advantage.I'm sure many people are going to disagree.
Where the senses fail us, reason must step in.
Galileo Galilei
12 May 2013, 20:13,
looks good to me

many thanks
12 May 2013, 20:21,
Saps best collected in may, can be used to make wine
13 May 2013, 01:21,
Just a crude wooden peg instead of a tube will also do the job of directing the sap. Excellent post..
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
13 May 2013, 07:51,
Thanks, this is a post worthy of the `saved` folder
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 May 2013, 14:22,
Good post and a skill that i haven't tried ... the neighbours have a birch tree ?
13 May 2013, 14:55,
(13 May 2013, 01:21)Timelord Wrote: Just a crude wooden peg instead of a tube will also do the job of directing the sap. Excellent post..

Damn, I was going to post this. Hardwood peg into the slit will make a good drip line.

I'm sure you can heat up the sap and make a pretty good glue, unless I'm getting that mixed up with another tree.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin