Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon & Cornwall SUK group.
17 May 2013, 17:38,
RE: Devon & Cornwall SUK group.
(17 May 2013, 17:10)Scythe13 Wrote: I hate to say this, but how come BP's brilliant idea has been shot down?

I'm always up for a laugh, but in regard to this idea, I'd much rather we took is seriously and actually put out ideas and the alike.

This is making me sound like an old woman, but I am interested in team work. I am interested in working things out so that we're able to build group plans and ideas. Whether we become a whole team that, come SHTF, we unite at a single point pool resources, and work together, is too much to foresee at the moment.

John, I appreciate your input, and take on what you're on about. At the moment, we're nowhere near that level and the concept is still building. We have much to work out before we even get to the point you're speaking about. So, for now, I've logged what you're saying, and appreciate your knowledge, but we'll be putting what you've said on the back burner. At least until we've got past the name taking part and the initial meets where we decide whether we'd actually want to work together or not.

NR, your input of having everything as being via PM's is understood. I think what will happen will be a similar thing to that, but we will likely include open meets where people new to prepping can just come along and say hi. Having something as being invite only, and advertising it as so, is a sure way to build cliques. People will get upset that they're being turned away or turned down. That's not nice and it's also unwise to advertise your 'group' in such a way. Whether we are that way inclined, to cut people off, will be up to us, but like I said to John, we're far from that point. What we will be doing is, we'll be meeting separately, me meeting BP, then BP and BM, then BM and me, and pub meets where we all just relax together and have a drink. This will be the initial system. After that, we'll all decide what we with of each other. The same will happen with new people interested in joining the group. They might not like someone else in the group, or the general group dynamic. So, instead of ousting them instantly by making it invite only, it would be wise to make social meets and just get to know each other properly. Now, NR, every prepper you meet, will be wondering whether they've been cut from your group, which could well harbour resentment. We're not a group. We're not elitist, or anything like that. We're just taking makes to see if we have the same ideals and are interested in working together or not.

As for BP and BM, what kind of things are you looking for from a group?

May be BP got off on the wrong foot using the word 'group'.
Where what he really meant was a social meet, may be a pub or part of the pub, similar to what SD has done. Also may be if the do grub would help.

And yes make it invitation only and you end up having people harboring resentment.

Just pick a day, say a month or two down the line so people have time to organize, choose a fairly central venue so probable people coming have about same travelling distance, and a time.

See how many respond to open invite. Then wait and see.
All you can do. Not a group, just a general meeting to meet others of like mind socially. If any body wants to know who or what you are your just a gathering of outdoor/camping people meeting for a pie and pint and chin wag.

My two penny worth.
17 May 2013, 17:50,
I wish I hadn't bothered now.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2013, 17:53,
Hmmm, this is all getting a bit gay for my liking.

I'm out
17 May 2013, 17:55, (This post was last modified: 17 May 2013, 17:59 by bigpaul.)
(17 May 2013, 17:53)BeardyMan Wrote: Hmmm, this is all getting a bit gay for my liking.

I'm out

that's it then.

SD please close the thread.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 May 2013, 19:03,
BP the best and probably only succesful way of develoing local groups of like minded folks is via the PM system, posting a good concept on a main forum will always attract the spoilers.
17 May 2013, 19:19,
(17 May 2013, 19:03)NorthernRaider Wrote: BP the best and probably only succesful way of develoing local groups of like minded folks is via the PM system, posting a good concept on a main forum will always attract the spoilers.

yep, the whole thing went downhill very rapidly.
17 May 2013, 19:32,
Dont give up hope on your rvs
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
17 May 2013, 21:10,
That's a real downer there BP. Not the greatest way to show comitment to a cause.

It's not finished with at all. The concept is awesome and I, for one, am very interested in persuing the concept and exploring it further.

If you (you being anyone on the forum) are still interested in a Devon and Cornwall meet, with the intention towards a group dynamic, drop either myself or BP a message, and feel free to post your interest on this thread....if you dare [insert scarey pirate theme tune, probably Pirates of the Carribean stylee].
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 May 2013, 09:30,
this is now on the back burner, its a non starter UNTIL we get more members in this area.
18 May 2013, 21:01,
(18 May 2013, 09:30)bigpaul Wrote: this is now on the back burner, its a non starter UNTIL we get more members in this area.

The thing is BP, there might well be many more preppers in your area, just waiting for something like this,..any forum has a very small number of people that do the posting, but often hundreds more who are just reading,... many of those might well be interested in joining such a group

I would personally set it up on a PM basis [ provisionally ] and see what numbers you get, ,.. and make a judgment on that,.. the biggest problem would be keeping it in the limelight, so that not only do people see it now,... but people can also see it in two weeks, or a month from now

There is also many good reasons for keeping the numbers small anyway
A major part of survival is invisibility.