Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stink free MRE's
15 May 2013, 10:30,
Question  Stink free MRE's
As an Urban based prepper I'm looking for a good set of mre's that are low on the smelly factor for my B.O.B as many of the generally available ones are heavy on the cheese or garlic and can be smelled for a fair distance which is fine in a camp out, but in a Bug out situation in an urban environment is just asking to attract attention.

In my G.H.B i've stuck to M/R bars and I do have a number seven sea's biscuits and plain noodles for my BOB (but even these can give off an odour when egg based) but would like to hear from anyone who may have come across some tasty smell free treats.

Any Ideas??
15 May 2013, 10:49,
RE: Stink free MRE's
You can get packets of meusli / oatmeal in ration pack type silver bags. Just add hot water, neglibible smell
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
15 May 2013, 12:22,
(15 May 2013, 10:30)The Ragman Wrote: As an Urban based prepper I'm looking for a good set of mre's that are low on the smelly factor for my B.O.B as many of the generally available ones are heavy on the cheese or garlic and can be smelled for a fair distance which is fine in a camp out, but in a Bug out situation in an urban environment is just asking to attract attention.

In my G.H.B i've stuck to M/R bars and I do have a number seven sea's biscuits and plain noodles for my BOB (but even these can give off an odour when egg based) but would like to hear from anyone who may have come across some tasty smell free treats.

Any Ideas??

Mountain house just require boiling water and are pretty good. I can vouch for the potato egg and ham and the pasta in lasagna sauce

Go outdoors have a less well known brand which is about the same price as mountain house.

or go boil in a bag from camping shops eat hot or cold then you dont need to worry about your water boiling methods. I do find however Hot food on a cold/wet day boosts morale
15 May 2013, 12:33,
undefined
15 May 2013, 12:40,
Get yourself a vacuum sealer. You can then make your own "MRE"s, all pre-cooked of course, so you just need to heat them up in hot water. Package remains sealed until you're ready to eat, so no cooking smells wafting around.
15 May 2013, 12:46,
(15 May 2013, 12:40)BeardyMan Wrote: Get yourself a vacuum sealer. You can then make your own "MRE"s, all pre-cooked of course, so you just need to heat them up in hot water. Package remains sealed until you're ready to eat, so no cooking smells wafting around.

That is a very good Idea....I was watching the Hairy Bikers yesterday and a chef cooked her mains in a vacuum bag and just boiled them...If I was a tad quicker witted I would have made the connection earlier.

Thanks
15 May 2013, 16:46,
some excellent dehydrated meals recipes and instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBabelfish5/videos

some really good recipes on there and you can customize to your taste
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
15 May 2013, 16:50,
I just buy dehydrated meal packs in the camping shop £5 a time.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 May 2013, 18:08,
Food smells.

Good food smells good.

Food that has no smell has no taste.

Most carb heavy foods have no smell until the taste is added; pasta w/sauce, potato w/butter, macaroni w/cheese.

Even a roasted rat will have a distinct smell of meat cooking as soon as it touches the fire.

Relegate yourself to smelling the food or eating some tasteless mush.

And accept the fact that you can not carry much food in a BOB, especially with all the other crap you guys try to stuff in there. You will have to deal with food smelling today or food smelling tomorrow. Take steps to deal with the problem.

You are working in the area we used to call "combat survival tactics", the bits of wisdom passed from one soldier to another and not written in the manuals.

1. Never eat where you sleep.

Find a good sheltered camping spot and then move several hundred meters away, cook your meal quickly and eat it quickly and circle the area, then move to your campsite after dark has fallen.

In reverse, do not cook morning meal in camp. Leave camp before daylight. Move out for an hour then stop to boil your cup.

You will find that you start looking for natural shelters and never set you tarp or tent up since you are working in darkness. Combat/bug out is not a camping jaunt or hiking trip. Stop thinking of it as such.

Keep your gear organized so you can lay it out and scoop it up in the dark. If things get too dicey around you sleeping location you have the ability to get out in a few seconds.

2. Bury all your trash. This not only erases your presence it conceals the fact that you have food. No need to leave a trail of wrappers to your location. After you bury conceal the site so no one will dig it up to speculate on what you have and where you are going.

3. Stay off the roads.

Once you clear of the cities stay off the roads. People are on the roads. Houses are on the roads. People in houses often have dogs that can smell the food even when they can not. People in houses can smell your food cooking and will see you duck into the bush looking for a campsite.

Travel the fence rows that parallel the roads and stay off the path as much as possible.

4. Watch the wind. The smell of smoke travels for miles on the wind, so does the smell of food. Cook fast, eat fast and get out of there and do not move down wind after eating!

5. Everyone never eats at the same time. You cook and eat your share while another watches, then you watch while the guard eats. If alone you hide, eat fast and keep your head on a swivel, then bury the trash and get gone.

Those are simple common sense rules that will keep you alive, but are virtually unknown in polite society. It also explains why some of those old soldiers from WW2 still wolfed down their food 40 years latter.
15 May 2013, 18:15,
^^^^ common sense and second nature to someone with a military background, but not everyone here is military
A major part of survival is invisibility.