Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Containerisation
17 May 2013, 09:33,
Containerisation
Just watching Doomsday Preppers last night for a giggle and for lessons on how not prepare, and one point caught my attention from the lady who was planning to bug out from Virginia by van and huge box trailer and then to a raft with nearly all of her massive stockpile of supplies in tow. She assumes she has about 4 hours to react if the Gran Canaria volcano lets rip in the Azores and intends to load her big van and trailer, load her kids and hubby, drive ten miles to the river hauling a sodding great trailer, then inflate four rafts by foot pump, then tranship all her supplies and paddle away upstream at 1.5 MPH away from the tsunami.

Anyway it become obvious to even her that she and her family would be dead from the tsunami long before they got to anywhere safe (if she is that scared about a tsunami instead of spending at least $100K of prep supplies why didn't she just move inland and onto a hilltop?? ). If the water did not get her chances are one of the other panic stricken Virginians would have shot them or they would be stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on a freeway until the water came.

Equally she gets her news feed about the forthcoming disaster by text and updates to her laptop if the worst happens thus giving her about 4 or 5 hours notice, but what if the Volcano lets rip during the night whilst they are all in bed ?? she would drown before she got out of bed. But what the heck this is Murica so long as they have their guns they are safe and no gun massacres of innocent people will occur in the “Land of the fee” (pun intended), In Murica only the bad guys die and the rest survive to make a movie about it.

Anyway I digress the point I wanted to raise was that I noted this lady was loading her trailer basically one large tin of freeze dried food at a time (and bottled water to travel on a river!!!), apart from a couple of pre=packed tubs the lady was offloading her food supplies one tin at a time off the shelf in her house and stocking into the back of the van or trailer, then she loaded her four inflatable dinghy's separately and of course a bulk value pack of toilet paper !!!!!.

So when I stopped laughing I thought to myself ;;

“ Yes but if I was in a similar position and I DID have enough time to clear some household cupboards of extra supplies (which could be life savers months down the road) I would not want to prat about loading tins, packets and boxes into carrier bags and trying to stack them in the back of my vehicle”

So I’m thinking would it not be prudent and wise to keep a few EMPTY storage containers like Zag Roll n Stores or RUB’s totes ( Really Useful Box LTD) around Castle NR just in case I do have to bug out and I DO have time to clear out the pantry as well ??.

Food for thought?

Messages In This Thread
Containerisation - by NorthernRaider - 17 May 2013, 09:33
RE: Containerisation - by RoadWarrior - 17 May 2013, 09:41
RE: Containerisation - by Highlander - 17 May 2013, 16:02
RE: Containerisation - by NorthernRaider - 17 May 2013, 17:18
RE: Containerisation - by Mortblanc - 17 May 2013, 18:48
RE: Containerisation - by Little Lou - 17 May 2013, 19:44
RE: Containerisation - by NorthernRaider - 17 May 2013, 22:03
RE: Containerisation - by Franc - 17 May 2013, 21:12
RE: Containerisation - by NorthernRaider - 17 May 2013, 22:05
RE: Containerisation - by Franc - 17 May 2013, 22:21