Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My BOB
17 May 2013, 09:48,
My BOB
I did post this in another section but it has been suggested to post it here, so here is my BOB

Clothing
Winter Hat, Socks, Gloves, Scarf, waterproof trousers and coat Emergency poncho and foil cover.

Fire
Vaseline, Cotton balls, Waterproof matches and Flint steel striker.

Cooking
Folding camping stove, Gas, Pan set, Beans and soup.

Lighting
Head light, Glow sticks x2.

First Aid
The general pills and creams (Paracetamol and bite cream etc), Plasters, Bandages, scissors, Wipes.

Sleeping
Sleeping bag and Roll mat.

Misc
Whistle, Mosquito head net (also good for fishing), Toilet roll, Hardware gloves, Duct tape and a bin bag.

Most of the items are in lock bags to keep them dry. I think my bag is only about 60% complete. I need some form of shelter, Knife, Batteries, Lighter etc but I think I have the absolute basics. I can make shelter, produce fire, heal a minor wound, eat and wipe my arse

If anyone has any hints and tips they would be appreciated.
17 May 2013, 09:53,
RE: My BOB
Are your lightsticks stored in anything like a cigar tube or bit of plastic pipe to stop em getting accidentally activated?, Its a mistake I've made a few times.
17 May 2013, 10:08,
Nope, I'll add it to my list.

Its things like that I would never have thought of Smile
17 May 2013, 10:09,
I must have ruined at least 12 of the things until I realised my mates kept theirs in pieces of that white plastic overflow pipe used by plumbers.
17 May 2013, 11:11,
Really good start for a BOB! Great work.

What rating is your sleeping bag?

In regard to defence, what are you looking to bring along? Air rifle, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, etc?

I'm surprised nobody has noted the lack of knife/knives...especially for the people on this forum (we're all knife heads haha).

Great bag, good gear.

Really look forward to seeing how your system progresses.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 May 2013, 12:03,
I'm going to be putting my first BOB together as soon as it's delivered. Thanks for pointing out some of the basics, it's a great start point.
17 May 2013, 12:11,
on first aid I wud say you shud deffo add ....a pair of med size tweezers ( ive got a hobby pair by am-tech in SS with an led on ),also couple pairs of latex gloves, and a handful of cotton buds for cleaning wound or cleaning ears ! not forgetting half a dozen safety pins !!..these items weigh next to nothing.
17 May 2013, 15:20,
dont forget a water bottle or similar,.. water is one of your greatest needs
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 May 2013, 16:47,
Cheers all

I forgot to add that I have two 1L water bottles. They are metal so I think I'll be able to fill it, boil it and let it cool on my pack?

The sleeping bag is only a cheap one. I thought it would be best to get the basics and then maybe improve them as time progresses. At least if something did happen I have something.

Good additions for the 1st aid kit. I keep seeing things when I go shopping and I'll never stop adding bits and pieces to it.

Security, I do have a air pistol upstairs. I know they are not the best but it packs a bit of a punch. Plus, I'm a big bloke with two teenage sons so i hope they would just walk the other way ha ha. I am planning on getting a crossbow soon but the wife isn't convinced. Smile

I also use it for going on walks so I'm fully capable of carrying it for long distances.
17 May 2013, 17:20,
In regard to boiling bottles and letting them cool in your pack...if you do boil water in the bottle, make sure the lid if off. Boiled water produces steam and that can come with HUGE pressures. Last thing you want is your lid to bust open and get sprayed by boiling water! Once the water is boiled, be careful about where you place it in your pack. If you have a poncho or something like that, the 100 degree water bottle will nicely melt that away. If next to food, it could cook it unexpectedly, and if that food is left to cool.....well, my mum always told me not to reheat rice. My advice is to let it cool properly, or wrap it in a heat retainer or blanket and enjoy some nice hot water. Could always just drop in a tea bag and let it brew up for when you next stop. Either that, or leave it to cool over night.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin