Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frogs as food animals?
17 May 2013, 20:07,
Frogs as food animals?
Myself and the family have been running through the idea of keeping animals for food and are pretty set on Rabbits as my Nan used to do it and got a fair amount of meat for practically no food lay out.

But, I'm into nature and wildlife and have a big pond in the garden for frogs and dragonflys (the kids love to watch them), by we homed some fish in it that a friend couldn't look after and they eat all the frogspawn, so this year I put half of it in my water buts and now have 100's of tadpoles that will start to become frogs soon and we have thought about breeding them for food in another pond with a cover on it...anyone ever heard of people doing this successfully?

It's just one of those weird things that come to you after watching Edward chewing on a frog or two in the jungle.
17 May 2013, 20:16,
RE: Frogs as food animals?
(17 May 2013, 20:07)The Ragman Wrote: Myself and the family have been running through the idea of keeping animals for food and are pretty set on Rabbits as my Nan used to do it and got a fair amount of meat for practically no food lay out.

But, I'm into nature and wildlife and have a big pond in the garden for frogs and dragonflys (the kids love to watch them), by we homed some fish in it that a friend couldn't look after and they eat all the frogspawn, so this year I put half of it in my water buts and now have 100's of tadpoles that will start to become frogs soon and we have thought about breeding them for food in another pond with a cover on it...anyone ever heard of people doing this successfully?

It's just one of those weird things that come to you after watching Edward chewing on a frog or two in the jungle.

taste nice with garlic butter
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
17 May 2013, 20:16,
Never ate frog, but its a popular cajun dish. Dont know much about frogs im afraid, but would imagine there easy enough to look after and you could feed them the odd bit off bloodworm and theyll hopefully see off any snails/slugs.also tadpoles when they have legs will eat scraps of ham/bacon
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
17 May 2013, 20:29,
This is one of those "yuck" moments. Would you feel better about eating frogs if I told you that only their legs were eaten and the frogs were alive when they were cut off?? Thought not!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 May 2013, 22:02,
Make sure the tadpoles are out of the waterbutt soon. When they get legs they need platforns to climb up, otherwide they drown.

In regard to eating frogs, not certain, but I think only certain species can be farmed and eaten. Best to double check.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 May 2013, 22:07,
Im surprised some nitwit hasnt realeased bullfrogs in the uk, we already have snapping turtles
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
17 May 2013, 22:08,
Jeezus H Christ you really dont like the French do you, if you willing to eat them that is.
17 May 2013, 22:31,
I always thought frogs were amphibians? Tongue
18 May 2013, 01:24, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2013, 01:27 by Mortblanc.)
Yes, frogs are amphibians, and you can eat them, at least at their legs. Almost any species from the temperate regions can be eaten.

We used to cut off the legs and dip them in milk, then roll them in cornmeal, drop them into a deep skillet of oil. Use a lid, the legs will jump out while cooking!

They have the texture of chicken but taste like fish.

I would much rather eat frog legs than bugs!

You can hunt them at night using a torch and nothing but a sharp spear with barbs whittled in. We used to use an 8 foot bamboo pole with a head called a "gig". They are available at Walmart.

A couple of kids with a gunny sack and a frog gig can get a good meal from our local streams on any warm summer night.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Deluxe...1/21862676
18 May 2013, 01:33,
You don't have to eat 'em. Use them for barter instead