Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency phone
18 May 2013, 09:28,
Emergency phone
Emergency phone
Spandex raised this subject again with me and i thought it worth revisiting.

the original DM article is here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...hours.html

They are now available from places like Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spare-One-Emerge...ency+phone

EMERGENCY MOBILE PHONE. Simple. But with all the features you need for a spare phone. Freed from the need of power outlets, you can use the amazing AA battery powered SpareOne anywhere within range of a GSM cell tower. Ships with battery included. Even without a SIM card, SpareOne has one-button emergency dialing (911 etc.), and can be geo-located in an emergency. Simple, for all ages. Easy as 1.2.3. 1. Insert your own or a new SIM card 2. Turn on the phone 3. Call Outstanding Performance with a Single AA Battery SpareOne is the only cell phone in the world powered by a standard AA battery. This is a technological breakthrough! Smart patented power engineering allows users to take advantage of this widely available an inexpensive battery - A regular AA ! SpareOne won't make you depend on an AC outlet. A Battery Shelf life of 15 Years*. Talk Time for up to 10 Hours*. The SpareOne can hold its charge, if stored unused, for up to 15 years* or for the shelf life of the battery inserted. And when in use, SpareOne has a talk time of 10 hrs !* This is all made possible by a single AA battery. *With Included Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91TM
Product Description
Global coverage* ! One to use in your home country, and one for abroad.Ideal for international travelers who need to avoid roaming fees. Just pop in a local SIM card from the country you are visiting.Simple, for all ages. Easy as 1, 2, 3.1. Insert your own or a new SIM card2. Turn on the phone3. Start callingOutstanding Performance with only a Single AA BatterySpareOne is the only mobile phone in the world powered by a standard AA battery. This is a technological breakthrough! Smartpatented power engineering allows users to take advantage of this widely available an inexpensive battery - A regular AA! SpareOnewon't make you depend on an AC outlet anymore.Battery Shelf life of 15 Years*. Talk Time for up to 10 Hours*.We broke all records! The SpareOne can hold its charge, if stored unused, for up to 15 years* or for the shelf life of the batteryinserted. And when in use, SpareOne has a talk time of 10 hours!* This is all made possible by a single AA battery.Innovative. Out of the box. One-of-a-kind design.When it comes to SpareOne, design and technology blend perfectly. The SpareOne was designed to be innovative and different. It istruly one-of-a-kind. The phone celebrates its technology and uniqueness by showing off its AA battery.The SpareOne comes in two different GSM Frequencies GSM 850/1900 MHZ for USA/Americans (View Map) GSM 900/1800 MHZ for EU/Asia/Africa/Oceania (View Map)*With Included Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91â„¢ battery. Features Maintains power for up to 15 years* Works with any NiMh rechargeable, alkaline or lithium AA Battery Works with Standard AA Batteries 10 hours talk time with (1) Energizer AA "Ultimate Lithium" Battery White LED Torch Light 9 re-settable speed dial buttons (1) Emergency pre-set dial button Battery, Antenna/Network L

18 May 2013, 12:24, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2013, 12:28 by Franc.)
RE: Emergency phone
In an emergency, odds are the cell towers are going to be down, just stick to landlines, or radios.

ive got to get me that baofeng, can they do packet radio?

im remembering now, back in the olden days, of analogue cell phones, i had a motorola, i think it was, which ran on either a rechargeable battery pack, or 4 aa battery's, i always wandered why the modern phones gave up on the aa system.
18 May 2013, 12:55,
(18 May 2013, 12:24)Franc Wrote: In an emergency, odds are the cell towers are going to be down.

yep, happened in America in the Boston bombing, phones wont be much use then will they? better to invest in some homing pigeons instead.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 May 2013, 13:01,
And of course the towers may be down as they were in London during the Olympics and back on 7/7 when the authorities turned the cell system off.

18 May 2013, 16:28,
It is a lot easier and quicker to turn off the cell phone system than the land line system. Each exchange is independent with regard to power - even if only for a short while. It is a much more 'physical' system than the mobile network.
If one is having a personal emergency and the cell network is up and running then all well and good the above mentioned item will be of great benefit, otherwise you are down to your own provision regarding ham type kit or the 'longer range' personal radio gear used by the security companies.
Better to have something than nothing.
18 May 2013, 16:31,
(18 May 2013, 16:28)iaaems Wrote: It is a lot easier and quicker to turn off the cell phone system than the land line system. Each exchange is independent with regard to power - even if only for a short while. It is a much more 'physical' system than the mobile network.
If one is having a personal emergency and the cell network is up and running then all well and good the above mentioned item will be of great benefit, otherwise you are down to your own provision regarding ham type kit or the 'longer range' personal radio gear used by the security companies.
Better to have something than nothing.
in an "event" you'll probably find landlines will be reserved for emergency use only and private landlines will be turned off at the telephone exchange.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 May 2013, 17:57,
Yes, with the computerised controls now in place this would more than likely happen - they do like to be in charge.
Having said that I would think that certain lines would be kept open - if you get my drift.
18 May 2013, 17:59,
(18 May 2013, 17:57)iaaems Wrote: Yes, with the computerised controls now in place this would more than likely happen - they do like to be in charge.
Having said that I would think that certain lines would be kept open - if you get my drift.

emergency and government ones only I think.
18 May 2013, 18:12,
Hello all I found the website for the phone in question and have ordered one to use in an emergency, when phone lines are not down from spareone.com thanks for your help again NR