Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHEAP FARADAY CAGE ?
19 May 2013, 00:41,
CHEAP FARADAY CAGE ?
O.K will this work as a cheap faraday cage ? ? ? Take a cardboard box, cut sheets of aluminium foil to cover all sides, stick sheets together with aluminum tape, this will surely form an all over cover ? O.K on the meter it works it conducts all over, if contents are away from the wall of box is safe ? thoughts ?
Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you.
19 May 2013, 01:19,
RE: CHEAP FARADAY CAGE ?
Place a battery radio inside and see if it blocks the signal. I would at least double up the foil. The screen around the box does not need to be solid. the "faraday cage" effect can be achieved by wrapping bare non shielded electrical wire around the box to form a latticework cage. Any opening surfaces could do with a removable heavy duty conducting link for when opening or a "flying lead" of electrical wire or similar metallic material between the lid and box. Some people ground the shielding to "earth" but I believe this is not necessary for a small container. Also if the grounding is not done properly, then this grounding lead can act as an aerial and actually pick up & conduct more EMP energy into the structure - which is undesirable. Regards, TL
(nice website)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
19 May 2013, 08:51,
I would certainly double up on the foil on the outside box,.. but remember that the item inside cant touch the outside, so the item needs to be in a box of its own

One of the best Farady cages you can use on a budget is a metal dustbin, line the inside with cardboard, put your protected item into a cardboard box and wrap foil around it, and place in the bin, seal the top with the Aluminum tape,... I have done this, and placed the bin in a metal garden shed.

It will all depend on how strong the EMP is going to be, a single covering of foil might protect against a mild EMP strike, but best to try and protect against a strong one
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 May 2013, 09:17,
A chocolate biccy tin with close fitting lid works fine, so long as you insulate the stuff inside from the walls etc , I use bubble rap for that job.

19 May 2013, 09:58,
(19 May 2013, 09:17)NorthernRaider Wrote: A chocolate biccy tin with close fitting lid works fine, so long as you insulate the stuff inside from the walls etc , I use bubble rap for that job.

Yes,..I have things in biscuit /chocolate tins, I collected them off people after Christmas, I dont use bubble wrap, but I have used the foil covers you get to keep ice from your car windscreen, and also the foil material that you often see put behind radiators
19 May 2013, 10:32,
Anything that is non conductive that insulates the contents of the tin from the shell , floor and lid of the tin itself should work.

19 May 2013, 12:51,
We each carry a two way radio when we are at work, they are carried in a cardboard box inside a 10 inch metal money box,.. easy to put into a small bag
22 May 2013, 19:40,
(19 May 2013, 00:41)Preppergirl Wrote: O.K will this work as a cheap faraday cage ? ? ? Take a cardboard box, cut sheets of aluminium foil to cover all sides, stick sheets together with aluminum tape, this will surely form an all over cover ? O.K on the meter it works it conducts all over, if contents are away from the wall of box is safe ? thoughts ?

Out of interest where do i get aluminium tape from? does duct tape do the job?
22 May 2013, 19:45,
Aluminium tapeis that the one that u can use an iron on?
22 May 2013, 19:46, (This post was last modified: 22 May 2013, 19:46 by Highlander.)
This is it,.. very cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid...&_from=R40

No its not iron on, just tape as you would duck tape