Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Workshop / Store
19 May 2013, 21:04,
Outdoor Workshop / Store
Hi Folks,

Thought I would share with you my new outdoor workshop I built. It is 3.5 metres long by 2m wide pent.

It has 20mm cladding on the frame and 1" floorboards. First created a 6" solid concrete base for it mixed by myself and was a mare to do.

On the inside I treated all the wood with 2 coats of preservative and clad the whole lot with breathable/waterproof roofing membrane.

Next got a couple of rolls of insulation wool and separeted it in half to create thin sheets that was fitted into the spaces. To give a bit of protection to buggers cutting through the sides I fitted metal mesh.

On top of this is insulated bubble wrap I managed to got for free form a mate on a building site. This stuff is expensive for what it is. Lastly fitted plasterboard, taped and painted the applicabale magnolia.

Not that I have had electrics installed with sockets and lights.

For security I have a metal bar fitted accros the door. Purchased a nice shed alarm system from the interweb that uses an internal temprature pir sensor with built in alarm.

However it is also wirelessly linked to an external alarm on side of house. The internal shed alarm one goes off for 30 seconds then activates the one on side of house which is also solar with battery backup.

The one in shed is so loud you cant stay in it when its going off.

My one question now is if it would be wise / suitable for storing bulky food items. If so, is there a low cost way of trying to prevent wild temp fluctuations over the year. Was thinking about solar panel with 12v PC fan drawing air out of shed during the day for instance.

[Image: Base1_zpsa21be169.jpg]

[Image: Base2_zpsb6b8513f.jpg]

[Image: Insulation1_zpsb52a9019.jpg]

[Image: Sheeted1_zpsee93f3ca.jpg]

[Image: Finished1_zps919a74ed.jpg]

[Image: Workbench_zpsebc84f35.jpg]

[Image: ExtAlarm_zps179342c1.jpg]
19 May 2013, 21:06,
RE: Outdoor Workshop / Store
Nice project,looks well done how long did it take to put up?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
19 May 2013, 21:09,
(19 May 2013, 21:06)Metroyeti Wrote: Nice project,looks well done how long did it take to put up?

More or less finished today and took around 10 solid weekends.

Glad its finished because all my tools and stuff was stored in the living room and around the house. Wife was starting to go a bit stir crazy on how long it was taking. Lol
19 May 2013, 21:40,
Very nice indeed, looks a really good job,.. as for the temp fluctuations, leave it for a short while and monitor it, because sheep's wool is supposed to be good at keeping a fairly constant temp
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 May 2013, 22:46,
Put some blinds over the windows. What colour is the exterior? Lighter colours will reflect heat better. As HL says, see how it goes, much better to stop it from heating up rather than dealing with the heat if you can. Good job on the thing.
20 May 2013, 00:43,
Question  RE: Outdoor Workshop / Store
Just had an idea Idea You know the old Safari roofed landrovers? they had a double skinned roof with an open ended air gap between. That would be reasonably easy to retro fit and would make a big difference to the thermal absorbtion to the interior. Also, making some insulated shutters that cover the inside or even outside of the windows will make a big difference. These can be removable for when you want natural lighting inside. They will also make it more secure. Fitted internally they are less obtrusive.
Fit high level shuttered vents at the top of the apex walls and a low down one for the free flow of cooler air into the bottom of the building.
Alternatively if you could coat the upper roof surface in porous clay tiles and have water sprinkled onto it, you could create a cooling effect like a fridge due to evaporation - but this is eccentric stuff - lol. Interesting prep idea though for PSHTF!.... TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
20 May 2013, 08:57,
Oh wow that the mutts nuts of a shed, its a beaut, Can I just make a point cos I'm slightly worried when you preserved the INSIDE of the shed can you make sure the preserve does not contain formaldehyde or arsenic etc cos I nearly killed myself with a nicely insulated shed about 12 years ago, The heater worked great but it caused the toxins in the wood preserve to leak into the air. You prolly are already aware but I would just like to double check Smile

Anyway that really is a fantastic looking store / workshop.

20 May 2013, 08:59,
Brilliant work.

Come on Highlander, he's making your bunker look small. Bust out some updated pictures of the inside of your polytunnel.

This summer I'll be building my greenhouse, and by the looks of it, I'll have to change forum, because the bar here is REALLY HIGH!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 May 2013, 09:18,
Wow! Thats a cool shed.

I built one last year (prepacked one) but mines still unfinished as I'm really struggling with temp fluctuations. In the summer I'm sweating like mad and the winter it is freezing. I was tempted to insulate but surly this will make the summer temps too hot?

I love the idea of using the membrane how does it attach to the walls?
20 May 2013, 09:45,
i hope to be making a huge shed this summer so its great to see what you have done here.