Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick anti padlock trick
20 May 2013, 22:07,
Quick anti padlock trick
Hi Everyone

This is blindingly obvious, but I just thought I'd post it, incase anyone gets caught out, locked in somewhere, and needs to get out.

If there's a padlock you need to circumvent, instead of worrying for ages on how to pick it, or work out the combination, simply get a screwdriver and undo the screws holding the plates the padlock is locked to.

Easy enough, but it's a quick trick, and something to think about when you're adding a padlock to somewhere.

Ideal EDC item for such activities....
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-4-in-1...iver/45380

Enjoy
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 May 2013, 22:48,
RE: Quick anti padlock trick
Cheap padlocks, the type that lock automatically when you close them rather than you locking them manually by turning the key, can often be opened by hitting each side simultaneously with a small hammer. The shock pushes the locking catch out of the notch and the lock springs open. Exposed padlocks without high shoulders can be simply twisted off with a large adjustable spanner, the same trick on a decent padlock often breaks the ironwork off the door.

I had a workshop in Bermondsey, so I've seen these a few times.
20 May 2013, 22:50, (This post was last modified: 20 May 2013, 22:51 by Scythe13.)
Good to know those tricks Steve. Nice one.

You can make pretty nice keys from a coke can, but they can take a bit more effort than carrying a screwdriver.

I'll check youtube for a video of what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRjNnnLOpmE
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 May 2013, 10:21,
Those are reasons I get good padlocks and good brackets for my stuff. You can't do either of those.

Sheer brute force making a lot of noise over time is required to get into mine. Padlock is inside a metal box which makes it awkward to get to. Just bash the box away first but it takes time and creates noise.

You can't stop people breaking in but you can make it difficult and if you can make it noisy then they move on to easier victims. After an event the rules change slightly after all Plod won't be coming but a 357 magnum may be. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 May 2013, 11:20, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2013, 11:21 by BeardyMan.)
Padlock shims are handy. Use a coke can or similar. Wear gloves though, freshly cut coke can will slice into your thumb with alarming ease...

Or for most locks over here, an old electric toothbrush with a needle attached to the end (to jiggle the pins) and another sliver of metal to turn the barrel will get you in Wink
21 May 2013, 11:45,
BOLTCUTTERS!!Angel
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2013, 12:01,
(21 May 2013, 11:45)bigpaul Wrote: BOLTCUTTERS!!Angel
Only any good if you have them with you.
Plus then it's evident you've been in there.

There's always an empty can of coke or beer can laying around. Use the shims and no one will ever know... Big Grin
21 May 2013, 13:29,
(21 May 2013, 12:01)BeardyMan Wrote:

There's always an empty can of coke or beer can laying around. Use the shims and no one will ever know... Big Grin

well I was assuming we were talking POST SHTF! get in, clear the place out and bugger off...fast!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2013, 14:32,
(21 May 2013, 13:29)bigpaul Wrote:

well I was assuming we were talking POST SHTF! get in, clear the place out and bugger off...fast!!Big GrinBig Grin

aye, even post SHTF it might be nice to have another method of entering a locked property without leaving signs that security has been breached. You never know, you may find more stuff than you can carry in one trip, and might want to leave it for a day or two before returning. Cutting / smashing or otherwise breaking the lock would be a sure sign that someone's been in. But bump the lock, grab what you can carry then secure the lock again and no one is any the wiser
21 May 2013, 15:15, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2013, 15:17 by bigpaul.)
(21 May 2013, 14:32)BeardyMan Wrote:
(21 May 2013, 13:29)bigpaul Wrote:

aye, even post SHTF it might be nice to have another method of entering a locked property without leaving signs that security has been breached. You never know, you may find more stuff than you can carry in one trip, and might want to leave it for a day or two before returning. Cutting / smashing or otherwise breaking the lock would be a sure sign that someone's been in. But bump the lock, grab what you can carry then secure the lock again and no one is any the wiser
have some of your own padlocks in store, cut off the padlock with the boltcroppers, take what you can carry then replace padlock with your own...that should stump anyone else!!Tongue

you can get a set of padlocks that all use the same key! should save on carrying a bunch of keys.