Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protecting Your Windows
21 May 2013, 12:27,
Protecting Your Windows
This is nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXRafkGaAU

Works out about £17 per linear metre or double if you want them to install. Probably nice to spend a couple of hundred on your downstairs
windows
21 May 2013, 12:38,
RE: Protecting Your Windows
I prefer to using self adhesive laminating film from places like B & Q and Mothercare that when applied to glass makes it very difficult to remove without it making terrible amounts of noise, and it holds the broken glass in place as well

21 May 2013, 12:53,
(21 May 2013, 12:38)NorthernRaider Wrote: I prefer to using self adhesive laminating film from places like B & Q and Mothercare that when applied to glass makes it very difficult to remove without it making terrible amounts of noise, and it holds the broken glass in place as well

Same here, I also have some prefabricated Chicken wire frames backed with Black bags which bolt to the inside of my downstairs windows and doors for a few extra minutes of escape or hide time at the total cost of £30....I can get them up and braced in under 15 mins I'm also picking up some free wood scraps from a local manufacturers skip bin (with permission) to make some 9m inch nailed boards to go under my back wall.which can be put in place under my rose and blackberry bushes (nails down) and turned over when needed.
21 May 2013, 13:00,
(21 May 2013, 12:53)The Ragman Wrote: Same here, I also have some prefabricated Chicken wire frames backed with Black bags which bolt to the inside of my downstairs windows and doors for a few extra minutes of escape or hide time at the total cost of £30....I can get them up and braced in under 15 mins I'm also picking up some free wood scraps from a local manufacturers skip bin (with permission) to make some 9m inch nailed boards to go under my back wall.which can be put in place under my rose and blackberry bushes (nails down) and turned over when needed.

Fooking good idea, I'll be having some of that for my french doors I reckon.

21 May 2013, 14:15,
Do they have french windows up north?
21 May 2013, 14:17,
(21 May 2013, 14:15)River Song Wrote: Do they have french windows up north?

Ah oui mes ami, and indoor toilets, central heating, electric lighting, etc, probably because as you know all great inventions came from up north Smile

21 May 2013, 16:45,
At the moment I don't have a way of reinforcing my windows because I don't want to advertise I have summit worth protecting. But do have a way of reinforcing my front and back door but placing two beams 3 inch thick with a supporting and reinforcing beam connecting them in the middle. (Think of a H on its side) lucky I can do this because I have a wall 4ft in front of the doors.
21 May 2013, 20:22,
(21 May 2013, 16:45)Mooski88 Wrote: At the moment I don't have a way of reinforcing my windows because I don't want to advertise I have summit worth protecting.

That's why I use clear plastic sheets on the outside that just look like normal windows and reinforce the inside, this along with the black bags prevents people from looking in and seeing anything.

The trick is to do enough to make it hard enough for them to go to an easier target without doing too much to make them think you're a treasure trove.

Also I read on a survival page about putting up official looking Bio-hazard signs...I would not recommend this as in the early days people will be looking for something to attack or to blame and they will most likely burn your house down.
21 May 2013, 21:22,
You could nick a "for sale" sign, and put it in your front garden. that would give you a good reason for keeping your house abandoned looking, with the curtains always drawn. And make any looters think twice about smashing your doors in.
22 May 2013, 18:35,
(21 May 2013, 21:22)Franc Wrote: You could nick a "for sale" sign, and put it in your front garden. that would give you a good reason for keeping your house abandoned looking, with the curtains always drawn. And make any looters think twice about smashing your doors in.

Or make them think it would be a nice place to squat!

I know that in many areas an abandoned appearance will get you fined, or TPTB will simply mow the garden, clean up the area and send you an ENORMOUS bill.