Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to keep warm - your ideas are needed
24 May 2013, 14:39,
Ways to keep warm - your ideas are needed
After reading the UK was 6 hours away from having no gas two months ago, I've decided to make this post. If its been done before then I apologise & SD can you please remove it.

I'm not posting this as a news article, just as a way to get people's brain's working & planning for 4-5 months time.

Myself, I've gone for

• Investing in sleeping bags for every house member • got 2 x full size calor gas heaters each with 1/2 a bottle in the heater & a full one in reserve. • camping gaz cooker & grill with 4 of the large camping gaz bottles. • 1 gas cartridge stove & 2 gas cartridge heaters & so far 15 cartridges of gas. • 2 x camping gaz heaters to be used on the camping gaz bottles mentioned above.

All of that is on top of the usual thick winter clothes you usually get (wooly jumpers, gloves, hats, scarves etc..). Sadly I can't have a wood burner or I would've installed one of those aswell.

What ideas have you got for staying warm? Yes scythe, we know what you're planning with the mrs Smile I meant that other members could replicate if they chose to.

Your idea's have the potential to save somebody's life so please share them
24 May 2013, 14:53,
RE: Ways to keep warm - your ideas are needed
Exercise.

If you have a willing partner....SEXercise! It's like exercise with a satisfactory ending! Haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 May 2013, 15:09,
cuddle up with a large warm OH! its called "shared bodily warmth"!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2013, 15:22,
Either excercise or under multiple duvets.

IF it's a long term issue, you are gonna have to start burning things!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 May 2013, 15:25,
In Victorian times they stitched waxey brown paper between 2 bedsheets to create an insulating blanket, also you can buy those emergency insulating silver blankets thingies.

once when we lost our heating for a couple of days we put the tents up in the living room....the kids loved it.
24 May 2013, 15:31,
..... but pegging it out made a mess of the laminate flooring haha

sorry i couldnt resist!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 May 2013, 15:39,
get yourself a wood burner made out of an old gas cylinder, available on Ebay, or get someone to make you oneTongue or get a mobile gas heater and some spare cylinders, a good quality 4 season sleeping bag or some high tog duvets ,some thermal long johns and a warm jumper and a lined jacket, oh yes and a good hat or cap, 70% of bodily warmth is lost through the top of your head...more so if your hairless!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 May 2013, 15:51,
Rob please remember that butane and propane heaters throw out as much water vapour as they do heat, I like your good self have bootle gas heater and cookers but they are primarily for emergency use as clothing and furnature soon get damp and mouldy when gas heaters are used in cold winter rooms.

24 May 2013, 17:00,
I always suspect these dramatic claims. Most are pure sensationalism.

Does the UK have only one distribution point where all fuel comes in and is allocated through the pipe manifold?

That is the only way everyone would run out at the same point in time 6 hours from X.

Ifthere is more than one center then one side of the country would go sort while another place had fuel for a few more days, and some places would never run out just due to normal variation in normal usage.

If the entire UK had been down to 6 hours some large segment of the population somewhere would have been screaming they were already cold.

I know that a nearby city was down to 5 hours of water supply a couple of years back, but that was due to a 10 day power outage to the only water filtration plant in the city. Folks in the suburbs still had water due to being on separate systems and different use patterns.
24 May 2013, 17:02, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2013, 17:05 by bigpaul.)
the UK only stores enough gas to last 13 DAYS even in normal times.

(24 May 2013, 15:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: Rob please remember that butane and propane heaters throw out as much water vapour as they do heat, I like your good self have bootle gas heater and cookers but they are primarily for emergency use as clothing and furnature soon get damp and mouldy when gas heaters are used in cold winter rooms.

you need to crack open a fanlight to allow the fumes to escape, we have a mobile gas heater but its for emergency use only and our wood burner is for post shtf(tenancy dosent allow it) when all rules are null and void.