Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepper Compound Bow Spec
28 May 2013, 15:31,
Prepper Compound Bow Spec
Still trying to start a basic list of make n model of COMPOUND bows ( we will look at Recurves and Long bows on another thread)

If Anyone knows of a make and model of compound bow they they feel meets our specific criteria rather than that needed by a sports archer.

I dont appear to be able to creat a one size fits all specification on this subject but my own ideal would be something like.

Compact (under 40 inch length pully to pully preferably much less)
Nylon coated wire strung (not Dacron string etc)
Either Budget price affordable so we can bulk buy and then use and discard when busted OR be capable of simple DIY restringing.

Power range from 25 to 40 pound draw weight.

I know and accept many of us are tickled pink with our 25 pound draw Barnett Banshees but we must not be complacent and keep exploring all options.

FYI Looking at trying to find some place in the NE where we can do an archery experiment weekend.

28 May 2013, 17:32, (This post was last modified: 28 May 2013, 17:37 by BeardyMan.)
RE: Prepper Compound Bow Spec
(28 May 2013, 15:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: I know and accept many of us are tickled pink with our 25 pound draw Barnett Banshees but we must not be complacent and keep exploring all options.

Is that all they are, 25 pound draw weight?! Feels more powerful than that.

I love mine, hopefully be able to get more use out of it now too Big Grin

I like this

shame it's seriously over priced (and a glorified sling bow really).
28 May 2013, 17:42, (This post was last modified: 28 May 2013, 17:43 by bigpaul.)
surely a 25lb is a starter JUNIOR bow??

that's what their listed on Ebay as.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 May 2013, 18:19,
(28 May 2013, 17:42)bigpaul Wrote: surely a 25lb is a starter JUNIOR bow??

That's what's on the label. Means the missus can use it though, and little 'un when he's a few years older.
28 May 2013, 18:36, (This post was last modified: 28 May 2013, 18:37 by bigpaul.)
(28 May 2013, 18:19)BeardyMan Wrote:
(28 May 2013, 17:42)bigpaul Wrote: surely a 25lb is a starter JUNIOR bow??

That's what's on the label. Means the missus can use it though, and little 'un when he's a few years older.

yep sort of universal.

OH isn't into bows, hasn't got the strength, but she likes the pistol crossbow so I bought her one.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 May 2013, 19:28,
(28 May 2013, 15:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: FYI Looking at trying to find some place in the NE where we can do an archery experiment weekend.

If u can find somewhere in NE let me know. No where in my area I can use my bows and its killing my skill level. Right now I'm better off chasing my prey and trying to club em with my bow rather than shoot at them
28 May 2013, 20:58,
Can someone with a barnett banshee 25. tell me the dimensions, when strung? need the length and width, just seeing if i can mount one on the bike frame.
28 May 2013, 21:39,
39 inches tip to tip, 10 inches from knocking point on serving to tip of sight, compounds are always strung apparently.

28 May 2013, 23:10, (This post was last modified: 28 May 2013, 23:11 by Timelord.)
Any weapon should be of good quality and reliable - especially if it is for SHTF or later scenarios. It is not much use having a room full of spares back at base when your weapon fails you out in the field. That could be a mortal error. Quality spares for quality weapons is a good prep, but imo cheap spares for cheap weapons is unwise and probably this transfers to other areas of prepping as well. Please remember, this is only my opinion and I welcome varied discussion by which we all learn together. regards, TL

By cheap, I mean inferior quality. No semantics pls. :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
29 May 2013, 08:24, (This post was last modified: 29 May 2013, 08:33 by NorthernRaider.)
The prime reason I have Banshees in multiples is thus

(A) They are from a reputable manufacturer
(B) They are of decent quality
© They are simple and affordable
(D) They are easy to obtain
(E) They can easily be used by all my family
(F) Being compounds its never going to be easy to change the string regardless of if they are cheap or expensive cos all require a bow press, so having multiple spares ensures I always have one operational whilst the other is under repair. Even if I spent a grand on a top rate bow if the string fails its just an expensive ornament until I can get it repaired, this way I always have bows available.

If I had a TD recurve or flat bow changing strings is easier but they both have other draw backs such as unweildy length or the risk of the TD limbs cracking, failing or delaminating ( which happened to my KAP recurve)

Its a trade off innit, ultra compact size increases complication of bow and difficulty if string changing, or simplicity and more reliability in design but you end up with something on average 5 ft long or longer. Some modern compounds are only 27 inches tip to tip ideal for urban preppers or cycling preppers. But if you are part of the fortunate minority and spend 90% of your time roamin in the gloamin with your hggis by your side you can enjoy the simplistic benefits of a single flat bow.

Then of course there is the one constant that often impacts on preppers and that is cost, Not everyone is avishly rich like SD or AL Smile and get what they can afford. I needed to equip at quite short notice three people .