Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadheads.. which target for practice?
30 May 2013, 06:57,
Broadheads.. which target for practice?
Hi guys

I've a jaguar 175lb xbow and i'd like to practice with crossheads

the bow uses 16" bolts, but i'd like to try firing crossheads in to a target.

I could shoot hay bales, would this damage the head? also if anyone has any bolt reccomenadtions i'd be very interested in those, the alloy 16" bolts i have are a little too soft for this bow in my opinion.

cheers
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
30 May 2013, 07:23,
RE: Broadheads.. which target for practice?
Take care mate I had a bale of hay for a target and arrow went straight through and was destroyed but I had a door as a back stop ,maybe 2 bales of hay for the job you can also purchase purpose built crossbow targets
30 May 2013, 07:31,
should have said big round bales lol, i've had to dig out the standard bolts from a round bale, but it doesnt do the flights any good!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
30 May 2013, 08:03,
Before I got my foam target I used cardboard that was compressed and held by plastic strapping, a unit on the industrial estate where I worked had a lot of cardboard and paper waste so they used a compactor to make it easier to handle and dispose of. One of these cardboard bales would definitely stop your arrow, they stopped rimfire rounds too, but I would be worried that it would damage a broadhead.

Perhaps you could find an old memory-foam mattress at the tip to slow the arrows down a bit before they hit the paper bale.
30 May 2013, 08:12,
In almost allmy broadhead tests something was damaged. I use a proper archery target and the broadheads went straight through damaging the flights every time, some were lost and depending on the backstop some broadheads were damaged.

I would get proficient with the standard tips and then sacrifice one or two broadheads to ensure that they fire the same, they did for me, and then keep the broadheads and bolts for when you really need them.

Even so I would only count on getting two or three shots from each. I'm sure that hitting bone won't do them any good either.

Get plenty of broadheads, treat them as disposable.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 May 2013, 09:20,
I could do with some broadheads but cannot see any arrows they would fit?

30 May 2013, 10:31,
(30 May 2013, 09:20)NorthernRaider Wrote: I could do with some broadheads but cannot see any arrows they would fit?

Are you talking Screw in or fit over NR? there are a few choices.
30 May 2013, 10:48, (This post was last modified: 30 May 2013, 10:49 by NorthernRaider.)
Not quite sure cos I cannot decide if the target points in my arrows are screw in or push fit and I dont want to ruin one trying to find out.

Either way they are going to have to be very light for a 25 pound bow to push em.

30 May 2013, 12:36,
I use them in my crossbows. They don't have the penetration with any of my normal bows.

imo

Normal bows - birds rabbits and playing
Crossbow - Larger animals
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 May 2013, 13:24,
At the price of broad heads I am not about to damage and waste them shooting them at targets. Not wanting to chop up my 3-D targets either!

That is why they make field points in the same weight, so one can get the same performance on targets without ruining the expensive broad heads.

Plus they are easier to remove from the targets.