Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery
30 May 2013, 20:43,
Archery
Just had my first archery lessons today great fun but I don't think that if SHTF tomorrow I would be catching much game with one .
What I have gained from this is that a LOT of practice is needed with the same bow to get results
30 May 2013, 20:57,
RE: Archery
(30 May 2013, 20:43)David075 Wrote: Just had my first archery lessons today great fun but I don't think that if SHTF tomorrow I would be catching much game with one .
What I have gained from this is that a LOT of practice is needed with the same bow to get results

that right mate practice and practice and when you think you have got it practice some more
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 May 2013, 20:58,
Very true.

If you check youtube, unless the bow hunter is shooting from an elevated platform, then they are shooting from a pretty close range. Also, a lot of deer hunters have to track their animal once they shoot it. Not all shots are clean kills...especially if youtube is anything to go by.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 May 2013, 21:26,
Most archery shots are NOT clean kills.

Only rarely will an arrow have enough impact to take a shock effect on the target, generally they die through hemorrhage and that can take up to a minute even if the heart is shot out.

Our archery season runs from the first of September until February with no limit on number of deer taken. One buys a license and after the second deer is killed an additional fee is collected for each additional deer. We get a lot of tracking practice.

Even with that extensive season only a small fraction of the bow hunters are successful. The good shooters/trackers get more than one deer consistently and the bad shots we refer to as vegetarians.

I enjoy the tracking more than the hunting experience and often go with friends just to track their kills. I carry the bow for decoration. That's my story and I'm sticking too it!
30 May 2013, 21:37,
(30 May 2013, 20:43)David075 Wrote: Just had my first archery lessons today great fun but I don't think that if SHTF tomorrow I would be catching much game with one .

That's the difference between us and our US cousins.We can't legally hunt with a bow/crossbow,which means all our opinions are based in either history,or evidence gleamed off the internet from experienced bow/crossbow hunters.I'm pretty knowledgeable on most aspects of archery,but i lack the practical experience. This is a major drawback for the Uk prepper.

We can talk about bow poundage and arrow penetration/blood loss,but unless we want to break the law and risk getting caught we can't get any first hand experience when it comes to true hunting with a bow.

More 3D archery courses are desperately needed (especially for crossbow shooters as we're looked down upon by a lot of vertical bow shooters)
I've spent years researching archery,but i have very limited experience when it comes to stalking/getting into range,and actually taking a shot.

I'm sure if we put our hand's on heart,most UK preppers would admit that we lack the skill to rely on the bow for harvesting game and for defense.
I don't expect to shoot someone and think they would drop like an extra from Rambo (in a shtf scenario of course).I would expect them to either scream in pain and run away,or scream in pain and charge.We really need more 3D courses with realistic expectations of what we can actually do with a bow if we had to rely on it.
The bow is an extremely capable weapon,but it requires a long period of practice to become even moderately skillful. How many of us can truthfully say we are.Not me.
30 May 2013, 21:44,
that is true for big game ,but they do work well on small game ,or so im toldSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 May 2013, 21:45,
Spot on Talon.

Don't forget, if you're shooting smaller game, you'll puncture more organs than an air rifle pellet through the head. As a consequence, the meat will have to be uber thoroughly cleaned and cooked to stop contamination.
30 May 2013, 22:14,
A small but useful addition to a bow is the rear peep sight. It's just a small ring that is whipped into the string but it makes it much easier to use.
30 May 2013, 23:26,
(30 May 2013, 22:14)Steve Wrote: A small but useful addition to a bow is the rear peep sight. It's just a small ring that is whipped into the string but it makes it much easier to use.

I've seen those sorts of things used in competition archery to check the string is being pulled back the same amount; but they are low on the string and are felt on the lips by the archer.
31 May 2013, 07:02,
think there called a "kisser" as you bring it to your lips ! Talon ..your post is spot on mate ...there are a lot of archery fantasists around here Rolleyes......yes and its very hard to practice with a crossbow outdoors...I went up my mates factory/warehouse for an hour or so ages ago to have a practice...you cant do that in a council back yard really tbh, im now not sure I want a bow.. takes a lot of practice and dedication ...forget it ... I work full time as most do , I think that everytime I wanna go out with the air rifle I may as well stop in and buy an extra 2 tins of soup !! than try and "hunt " rabbits !! just being realistic guys...don't think there is any Rambo fantasists on here !Big Grin