Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossbow
11 June 2013, 12:18,
RE: Crossbow
I'm also looking at a X bow. Very useful info in this thread. Thanks!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 June 2013, 12:27,
I think one vital issue to be considered for crossbow archers is to ensure you can get spare limbs and limb end caps as well as strings.

11 June 2013, 12:58,
(11 June 2013, 12:18)Tarrel Wrote: I'm also looking at a X bow. Very useful info in this thread. Thanks!

Hi Tarrel,

The Armex Jaguar 175lb bows are very well built indeed . Also there are many e-retailers selling replacement prods. We started out replacing the 175lb prods with 95lb draw replacements to make things easier.

It is very wise to get a cocking aid rope as this greatly reduces the strain needed to cock these brutes.... NR's accident is testimony to what can happen when attempting to cock the string without said cocking aid...

Good hunting

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 June 2013, 13:02,
Just came across this on blades and bows 150lb pistol crossbow
http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/wolverine...5634-p.asp
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
11 June 2013, 13:07,
Oh I can feel my nads tearing at the thought. I would have another crossbow but nowt more than 95 pound for hunting or similar, I'll stick with compound bows now, but there is nothing wrong with adding a crossbow to your kit. Dont forget the cocking aid.

11 June 2013, 13:08,
oh I like that a lot that would fit under my hunting coat ,I mean under a coat for some one elseBig Grin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
16 June 2013, 13:05,
Ok so I took my new MX-80 Self Cocking Pistol Crossbow out for a test drive.
The bolts were aluminum with steel tips - But there still didnt go into a hard tree
although they made some damage to a dustbin - didn't stick in though.

Having said all that, they would do some damage to any urban pondlife that comes my way !!

does anyone have any suggestions as to the best bolts to get? I assume we cannot source
explosive bolts?

Any ideas?

Thanks
16 June 2013, 14:43, (This post was last modified: 16 June 2013, 14:45 by RoadWarrior.)
Hi RS, don't fire the bolts into a hard tree !! ...go the the local shop and buy a large turnip or a watermelon....youl find these much more realistic when trying to simulate a TU situation Wink....after all trees wont be wearing shell suits and nike air max trainers and try attacking us !!! but fruit and veg are more similar to Hum@#s !Angel

at least you can eat them afterwards !! (the melon etc)...... oh no ....think I don't wanna get into cannibalism ...might get wrong again Big Grin

the alum ones id say are the best IMHPO !
16 June 2013, 15:30,
I use a old mattress as my target and turn it on its side and usually have to cut it open to retrieve the bolts
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
16 June 2013, 16:39,
As well as the bolts that you bought, you can also buy plastic bolts,.. now these are not quiet as good, but they are a fraction of the cost and still fly straight,.. so although they do damage more easily, because of the cost you can afford to loose/damage more... most of my bolt stock are plastic
A major part of survival is invisibility.