Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dedicated wire cutters instead of Leatherman tool
3 June 2013, 13:24,
Dedicated wire cutters instead of Leatherman tool
I've been doing a quite a bit of stock fencing recently, pig wire, barbed wire etc., and it's come a quite a surprise how tough some of this high-tensile wire is. It's certainly well past the comfortable limit for a multi-tool to handle.

Wire is very useful for making shelters, traps, even making into your own secure area, and you are practically guaranteed to come across it, so I'm putting a proper set of cutters in my bag.
3 June 2013, 14:04,
RE: Dedicated wire cutters instead of Leatherman tool
Have you tried any of the sog power lock type tools. They have extra gubbins and leverage for cutting. Supposedly better than leathermen.
3 June 2013, 14:07,
already put a pair of snips in my pack.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 June 2013, 14:34,
The one tool that covers everything is for EDC and BOB where you want to stay light. For real everyday use you want a good solid version of a decent tool.

It is so you can handle a multitue iof eventualities while remaining light. Your toolkit though needs more robust tools.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 June 2013, 14:55,
(3 June 2013, 14:34)Skean Dhude Wrote: The one tool that covers everything is for EDC and BOB where you want to stay light. For real everyday use you want a good solid version of a decent tool.

It is so you can handle a multitue iof eventualities while remaining light. Your toolkit though needs more robust tools.

I understand, but my BOB will have a proper pair of sidecutters as well as the Leatherman, because wire fence is something you come across so often.
3 June 2013, 14:59,
Good post komrade steve Smile can you please reccomend a good pair of fencing wire cutters ?

3 June 2013, 15:23,
(3 June 2013, 14:59)NorthernRaider Wrote: Good post komrade steve Smile can you please reccomend a good pair of fencing wire cutters ?

I use a pair of these:

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Too...tAodyxQAhQ

They cut all the common fence wire easily and are small too.
3 June 2013, 20:02,
(3 June 2013, 15:23)Steve Wrote:
(3 June 2013, 14:59)NorthernRaider Wrote: Good post komrade steve Smile can you please reccomend a good pair of fencing wire cutters ?

I use a pair of these:

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Too...tAodyxQAhQ

They cut all the common fence wire easily and are small too.

Cool ta muchly Steve, they are similar to the side nippers I used on my car, but bigger and tougher looking, thanks you ind Sir.

3 June 2013, 22:41, (This post was last modified: 3 June 2013, 23:07 by Highlander.)
Out of curiosity, why would you want to cut wire?

I dont mean to ask a stupid question, but if I was bugging out, I wouldn't want to carry a heavy tool to cut wire, because I cant think why I would need to,.. and if I was really desperate to cut a piece I would bend it back and forth

If I was to add a good wire cutter to a tool bag, then I would highly recommend this tool, I have used one of these for years and it cuts a well now as it did over ten years ago [ I think ten ]

http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/product.../15634/gs/
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 June 2013, 23:23,
Good lord that thing looks awesome. Does it come on a 6ft pole?