Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my ideal homestead.
4 June 2013, 14:58,
my ideal homestead.
just found my ideal property, not 1 but 2 ex farm cottages on an acre plot of ground, lots of trees on the property, disused veg area and some overgrown fruit bushes, not 1, 2 but 3 garages, stream bordered, in the middle of the Devon countryside down a rural unused country lane, no immediate neighbours although there is a road to a farm around the corner, all I need now is the money to buy it...£275,000....which is cheap for what is on offer....youd pay that down here for 1 property never mind 2.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 June 2013, 15:31,
RE: my ideal homestead.
"Copperhead Cottage" Big Grin

A bit more land would be useful, an acre is good for veg but livestock need a lot more unless you want to buy in food for them.

Then there's the cider orchard.....
4 June 2013, 16:45,
five numbers and two stars will do the trick BP, try that tonight mate, you never know
4 June 2013, 16:49, (This post was last modified: 4 June 2013, 16:52 by bigpaul.)
(4 June 2013, 16:45)Straight Shooter Wrote: five numbers and two stars will do the trick BP, try that tonight mate, you never know

what do you think I do TWICE a week and have done since it started SS??Big GrinBig Grin

(4 June 2013, 15:31)Steve Wrote: "Copperhead Cottage" Big Grin

A bit more land would be useful, an acre is good for veg but livestock need a lot more unless you want to buy in food for them.

Then there's the cider orchard.....

it'll do for a start Steve, start with the fruit bushes and the veg, then get some poultry, then maybe buy extra land..there are several unused field nearby, its good soil unlike here which is solid ball clay.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 June 2013, 18:21,
(4 June 2013, 16:45)Straight Shooter Wrote: five numbers and two stars will do the trick BP, try that tonight mate, you never know

got my ticket too but would be looking for more land though if they came up
4 June 2013, 18:40,
(4 June 2013, 18:21)I-K-E Wrote:

got my ticket too but would be looking for more land though if they came up

yes, me too.
4 June 2013, 18:49,
(4 June 2013, 16:49)bigpaul Wrote: it'll do for a start Steve, start with the fruit bushes and the veg, then get some poultry, then maybe buy extra land..there are several unused field nearby, its good soil unlike here which is solid ball clay.

Sounds like a plan. When I bought my place I really wanted a field adjacent too, so I told the seller I would pay £amount but only if the deal included that field. The idea was to let the seller talk to the land owner, instead of me coming in straight from London and trying to buy it. It took a while to arrange, but contracts were exchanged for the smallholding and the extra land simultaneously.
4 June 2013, 18:55,
I have been looking at property for several years and this is the most perfect property I have seen, its in the back end of nowhere, right out in the middle of the Devon countryside, no passing traffic-apart from the postie and the odd tractor, its not on a rat run-there are easier routes to go,the road over the bridge across the stream is only suitable for UNDER 7 ton vehicles, the land surrounds the property and the property is off the road- side ways on.
4 June 2013, 19:05,
(4 June 2013, 18:55)bigpaul Wrote: I have been looking at property for several years and this is the most perfect property I have seen, its in the back end of nowhere, right out in the middle of the Devon countryside, no passing traffic-apart from the postie and the odd tractor, its not on a rat run-there are easier routes to go,the road over the bridge across the stream is only suitable for UNDER 7 ton vehicles, the land surrounds the property and the property is off the road- side ways on.

There are disadvantages to being tucked away: delivery drivers phone up and ask where the house is, I've been waiting since Feb 5th for BT to put a phone line in, sheep escape from nearby fields and wander through the garden, the roads are too small to have a large static caravan delivered, if you want a shipping container you can only get a 20ft one ( the 40ft are actually cheaper but didn't fit down the road ).
4 June 2013, 20:07,
(4 June 2013, 19:05)Steve Wrote:
(4 June 2013, 18:55)bigpaul Wrote: I have been looking at property for several years and this is the most perfect property I have seen, its in the back end of nowhere, right out in the middle of the Devon countryside, no passing traffic-apart from the postie and the odd tractor, its not on a rat run-there are easier routes to go,the road over the bridge across the stream is only suitable for UNDER 7 ton vehicles, the land surrounds the property and the property is off the road- side ways on.

There are disadvantages to being tucked away: delivery drivers phone up and ask where the house is, I've been waiting since Feb 5th for BT to put a phone line in, sheep escape from nearby fields and wander through the garden, the roads are too small to have a large static caravan delivered, if you want a shipping container you can only get a 20ft one ( the 40ft are actually cheaper but didn't fit down the road ).

its perfect for what I want,we always said the property we want is the one no one else can findBig Grin we would have to put up some fences but that would be the case wherever we went.