Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ray Mears pack
5 June 2013, 13:15,
New Ray Mears pack
Ray Mears Leaf Cutter Ant Rucksack

I do, apparently, have a Woodlore fetish. I really like this. It looks similar to my Karrimor SF Sabre 45 I bought last month, apart from the non-detachable side pockets.

Whaddya reckon? Anyone know of anything else in this kind of price range that would do a better job? By better I mean more adaptable?

If I could get away with buying this and keeping my testes I'd have one delivered tomorrow
5 June 2013, 21:46,
RE: New Ray Mears pack
I admit that I have not used a style like this,.. but wouldnt it play badly on your lower back after a while, [ even with shoulder straps ]... after all most advice will tell you to carry your weight as high on your back as possible
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 June 2013, 22:32,
(5 June 2013, 21:46)Highlander Wrote: I admit that I have not used a style like this,.. but wouldnt it play badly on your lower back after a while, [ even with shoulder straps ]... after all most advice will tell you to carry your weight as high on your back as possible

Yeah, I'm not sure they'd be overly comfortable if you're walking any distance, or carrying any weight. The only similar thing I've seen, which are surprisingly large, are the bum-bag/twin bottle holder things they sell in running shops (marathon runners etc)

Doesn't look too dissimilar to the Old Alice pack belt kit rucksack thing. Surplus bloke at the car boot was selling those for £50.
5 June 2013, 23:48,
BeardyMan Wrote: The only similar thing I've seen, which are surprisingly large, are the bum-bag/twin bottle holder things they sell in running shops (marathon runners etc)

Wife has one of those and I have 2. Not worth the money. Has to sit entirely on your hips and can't carry much weight at all. Really uncomfortable if it's not super tight, because it bounces and jiggles around.

You have to do them up super tight, but even then the straps cut into you.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 June 2013, 08:16,
(5 June 2013, 23:48)Scythe13 Wrote:
BeardyMan Wrote: The only similar thing I've seen, which are surprisingly large, are the bum-bag/twin bottle holder things they sell in running shops (marathon runners etc)

Wife has one of those and I have 2. Not worth the money. Has to sit entirely on your hips and can't carry much weight at all. Really uncomfortable if it's not super tight, because it bounces and jiggles around.

You have to do them up super tight, but even then the straps cut into you.

Cheers bud, good to know I'd be wasting my wonga should I purchase one.

Doesn't bode too well for the Duluth pack then, as Highlander pointed out. May have to pick up the alice belt & backpack thing I saw last week instead.
6 June 2013, 09:58, (This post was last modified: 6 June 2013, 09:59 by Scythe13.)
If you want, I can lend you one of my Osprey running bags. I'll find you a link for what they look like.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mu..._1/talon_4
6 June 2013, 10:05,
this is why I bought the US Alice pack & FRAME on Ebay for £20 +p&p,( you can get them for £50 online), I like to have a frame to take the weight.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2013, 10:17,
The lumbar packs are good for walking, but not for any movement beyond a meander! If you jog, you're screwed. "Tighten the pack" I hear you yelling. Not a great idea. You have to put it so tight that it digs into your skin. Unless you're topless and have a latex skin around your waist, to stop movement and increase friction massively, then this pack will still jiggle around, no matter how tight you pull it.
6 June 2013, 10:54,
Hhmmmm, well I'd only be walking with the Duluth one. But it's a lot of money to spend on something that may not be very comfortable / fit for purpose.

I'll buy the thing I saw at the car boot (wife allowing of course) and have a go at modding it, if required.

I should be able to get the rocket pockets off my karrimor sabre and get them onto the pack, so that could be interesting if it works properly and doesn't throw the balance off too much
6 June 2013, 11:19,
I bought a framed rucksack at Bude car boot for £4 a few weeks ago, dumped the pack..horrible blue plastic rustly thing, and fitted my old 25L camo back pack to it, loads of room left to add other things later and it has a fold down shelf thingy on the bottom!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.