Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Aid Course Experience
6 June 2013, 19:32,
First Aid Course Experience
I have just finished day 2 of a 3 day St Johns First Aid at Work.
It's very good and covers all the fundamentals that would stand you in good stead and frankly a lot more. I feel reasonably confident now.

One or two downsides. When I suggested that a Roll of Duct Tape, a Tube of Superglue and a Tourniqet may come in handy together with some sanitary towels for pressure wounds, they looked at me rather oddly.

I didn't let them know I was a prepper but my 550 Paracord bracelet and large Gerber knife to cut stuff with may have given the game away.

When They asked what the cord was for, I said "Don't you know that a girl likes being tied up now and again" they fell over backwards.

Verey politically correct crowd they were !!

X
6 June 2013, 19:39,
RE: First Aid Course Experience
(6 June 2013, 19:32)River Song Wrote: I have just finished day 2 of a 3 day St Johns First Aid at Work.
It's very good and covers all the fundamentals that would stand you in good stead and frankly a lot more. I feel reasonably confident now.

One or two downsides. When I suggested that a Roll of Duct Tape, a Tube of Superglue and a Tourniqet may come in handy together with some sanitary towels for pressure wounds, they looked at me rather oddly.

I didn't let them know I was a prepper but my 550 Paracord bracelet and large Gerber knife to cut stuff with may have given the game away.

When They asked what the cord was for, I said "Don't you know that a girl likes being tied up now and again" they fell over backwards.

Verey politically correct crowd they were !!

X
I think you may have given the game away, seeing as how you've still got to do day 3!!Tongue
i'd have loved to see their faces when you said that, OH had a hoot when I told her what you said.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2013, 20:29,
You may get lucky after that explanation,... you may get to be the victim tomorrow...Smile... mouth to mouth, chest compressions etc
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 June 2013, 20:43,
i"ll get there early
7 June 2013, 06:17,
Ive had military , St Johns, and independant first aid training.

St johns i felt wasn't the best, while military was the best.

All of them are very worthwhile though, i just felt St Johns were too "by the book", the independant place i went to last were quite down to earth.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 June 2013, 07:10,
Great work and great responses RS. We have a St Johns down here, and I've considered their courses for a refresher, but have not found the time to pop down there.

(7 June 2013, 06:17)Binnie Wrote: Ive had military , St Johns, and independant first aid training.

St johns i felt wasn't the best, while military was the best.

Any idea where a civi can get the military first aid training?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 June 2013, 07:27,
Apart from joining the TA, i'm not 100% sure.

Its very down to earth thought.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
7 June 2013, 09:18,
Don't forget the military ones have to train someone who may be the only fist aid for miles where the public ones have tojust provide first aid until the responder arrive in a few minutes. It is the best we are going to get unless someone is a military trainer willing to train one of us.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 June 2013, 01:23,
(7 June 2013, 09:18)Skean Dhude Wrote: Don't forget the military ones have to train someone who may be the only fist aid for miles where the public ones have tojust provide first aid until the responder arrive in a few minutes. It is the best we are going to get unless someone is a military trainer willing to train one of us.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention SD, but I felt this one hit me squarely between the eyes and truth to tell, I would dearly love to feel that I could be that useful again! Smile I have been a military instructor - more than twenty years ago - but it was in outdoor pursuits and never in 1st aid. I have saved life - two occasions of treating advanced hypothermia in the mountains I will always remember and one of failing to save it will remain forever imprinted (attempting CPR on the stoved-in ribs of a guy who fell from Tower Ridge on the Ben).

I went through annual qualification, as did the many ex-military members here, so I do have a bit of knowledge and I would be perfectly willing to pass on what I do know (and can vaguely remember! Smile) if any members should wish it but they would be better served, I think, by people like NR's missus or by any who work in hospitals and have current knowledge.

If I can be of service, let me know.

(I've gone into a bit more detail than is comfortable so you can judge...)

8 June 2013, 09:43,
OK - Here's my take. I finished the 3 day St Johns First Aid at Work course and must say
that it was very good indeed given the context. There was a lot of material on 3 x 6 hour days
but the pace was good and the manner of training assisted the assimilation of material
and at the end, I really DO feel trained. If you have no first aid knowledge and you can get someone to
pay for this course or blag it from your workplace, do it. If you are in a workplace environment, your employer
would probably love to pay for this as it protects them and anyway it is a HSE requirement.

Downsides

As someone else said, you are there until the emergency services arrive and take control.
As preppers we ask the question - What happens when there are no emergency services?
This was a question I felt unable to ask during my training with St Johns. They just weren't that
kind of people. ergo, my question about Duct Tape, superglue and Sanitary Towels. Last day I suggested that in case
of breathing difficulties I could always use my Gerber knife and do an instant tracheotomy. (They went WHITE)

But these are the situations that we will find ourselves in.

NO ambulance
NO Doctors
No Nurses
Just You

Now is the time to read and train yourself. It would be nice to get some military types to train us but meantime
what commercially is available.

Wilderness Training Course might be appropriate to add to the skills and any kind of military field surgery manual
might come in handy. Having said that I don't think we are going to need to do massive invasive surgery. Might need to remove an ingrowing toenail under Lidocaine but if you need to cut open someone?? Nah sorry - I think they are going to die. Make them comfortable and if you have morphine and can spare it - use it -- otherwise you need to stock up on Vodka!!

XX