Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Non Food consumables do you stockpile?
7 June 2013, 10:12,
What Non Food consumables do you stockpile?
I am wondering what sort of consumables you keep extra stocks of and how much?

EG off the top of my head I keep the following

24 bars of soap
12 bottles liquid hand wash soap
10 tins deodorant
12 tubes of toothpaste ( plus make our own0
10 bottles of shampoo / shower gel
10 500 mm bottles moisturiser
24 packs of 72 baby wipes
100 rolls of loo paper
100 rolls kitchen paper
20 to 25 litres of Domestos
6 gallons Fairy professional washing up liquid
10 bottles flash 4 in 1 surface cleaner
24 kitchen sponge / scourers
6 Gallons of Persil non bio liquid laundry detergent
6 Gallons Fabric conditioner
2 cans butane lighter gas
10 x 500 mm botles glass cleaner
4 boxes tissues with balsam
6 tins detol / detox spray
12 packets of 10 bic number two disposable razors
10x 1 litre bottles Harpic toilet cleaner
2 x 1 litre concentrated dettol liquid
2 rolls of 100 black bin bags
1 roll 50 green rubble bags
6 spare toot brushes
2 x 1kg bags table salt
60 full sized candles
100 light sticks
10 boxes kitchen sized box of matches
Assorted small and medium ziplog bags
5 rolls clingfilm
5 rolls baco foil
Sandwich bags
freezer bags
2 over cleaner sprays

Its a rough sort of list that varies a bit as I buy when i see stuff on offer. So what have you got and what do you do different?

7 June 2013, 10:35,
RE: What Non Food consumables do you stockpile?
I have a very similar list. Can't see anything major missing but I also include as consumables;
Bleach tablets
Cable ties
Kitchen wipes
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 June 2013, 10:41,
Yup cable ties is a good one
I forgot 6 tins of fly/ wasp/ bug spray cos those buggers will bloom when TSHTF.

7 June 2013, 10:42,
Nice list NR, although I would have much more salt ( for curing meat ).
7 June 2013, 10:49,
Not something I consume, but if you don't have any, you need some!!!

Tampons and sanitary towels!!!

Other than that, medication, vitamins/supplements (not really food in my opinion).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 June 2013, 11:31, (This post was last modified: 7 June 2013, 11:33 by uks.)
Pretty much the same as NR. But I also have plenty of nails, bolts, screw, wood metal, plastic sheeting, wood, spares for bug vehicles both the same disco's etc you get the idea. Chicken feed 6 months, plenty of borax, soda crystals.

(7 June 2013, 11:31)uks Wrote: Pretty much the same as NR. But I also have plenty of nails, bolts, screw, wood metal, plastic sheeting, wood, spares for bug vehicles both the same disco's etc you get the idea. Chicken feed 6 months, plenty of borax, soda crystals.

Agree with the salt NR we have 20 kilo's for salt.
Failure is NOT an option
7 June 2013, 11:44,
20KG!!! I thought I had a lot at 11kg!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 June 2013, 12:20,
I bough 2 x 20kg at Wing Yip for £2 something. Plus all the smaller bags I have. Must have about 100Kg now and I'll be adding more. It has multiple uses as well as being necessary for health.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 June 2013, 12:22, (This post was last modified: 7 June 2013, 12:23 by NorthernRaider.)
(7 June 2013, 10:42)Steve Wrote: Nice list NR, although I would have much more salt ( for curing meat ).

noted with thanks, added to notice board , Gracias Senor.

(7 June 2013, 11:31)uks Wrote: Pretty much the same as NR. But I also have plenty of nails, bolts, screw, wood metal, plastic sheeting, wood, spares for bug vehicles both the same disco's etc you get the idea. Chicken feed 6 months, plenty of borax, soda crystals.

Agree with the salt NR we have 20 kilo's for salt.

Yup noted UKS, i didnt go into MTCE gear at the moment just the erm !!!! Domestic consumables. More Salt noted.

7 June 2013, 13:41,
Great list, NR - and really helpful for us newbies.

I've only really been prepping six months so I don't have nearly as much stuff as you do, but it's still encouraging to see I seem at least to be collecting the right things. (I spent ages googling 'toot brushes' in case it was something essential I'd missed, but am now assuming you mean tooth brushes??) The only things I have more of than you do are salt and aluminium foil.

What I don't have are disposable razors (OH has a beard), baby wipes (but do have medicated wet wipes) or oven cleaner (at present the only oven I'll have post SHTF is a Dutch one).
I'm also not stockpiling glass cleaner, as I find water, vinegar and crumpled newspaper does the job just as well - and I have LOTS of vinegar.

What I'd add to your list:

Over the counter drugs (from aspirin and ibuprofen to immodium, TCP and Optrex)
Prescription drugs (including generic antibiotics). I have 3 courses of 4 different antibiotics so far.
Medical supplies - dressings, burn gel, syringes, needles, sterile emergency kit etc
Prescription glasses (I don't need these but my OH does)
Cheap reading glasses - you can buy a pair of these for £1.99 at Pound shops and I have 20. (I need these, and so do lots of people if it ever comes to a barter situation).

Fuel - various. I have diesel, car oil, fuel tablets for my camp cookers, methylated spirits, and 48 butane canisters so far. Nowhere near enough, but it's a start. I also hoard wood, though I haven't yet got the woodburner to go with it!!
Also batteries - mainly AA and AAA (torches, radios, my security camera etc). I have 72 of each so far.

Hoarded semi-rubbish, like newspapers and cardboard. It's so easy for us now to talk about cheap ways of doing things 'just using newspaper' - but where's the newspaper going to come from post SHTF?

Gardening - Lots of Heritage seeds, obviously, but also slug pellets, compost starter, wire, twine, and heavy duty polythene. I know I need more, but again it's a start. Round here, the slug pellets are especially a must.

Construction/maintenance - Sandpaper, nails, screws - and washers of different sizes.
Duct tape and gaffer tape.
Spare blades for the Stanley knife. (6)
Wood preservative - only 5l so far but will definitely need more.
Mastic.
Long term I think I'll need some kind of cement or mortar mix, but I know absolutely nothing about these things and think it'll have to wait until OH comes on board.

Light bulbs!!! - Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I'm getting a couple of big solar panels fitted next month and there's a chance I'll be able to use them. Put it this way: it's an invention that changed the world, and is something I won't be able to make myself in a post SHTF environment. Why not stockpile it while I can?

Gloves - I have 5 pairs of heavy duty rubber gloves, 30 pairs of latex, and 12 pairs of 'non-latex light'. It's not to keep my hands beautiful, but because if we suddenly move into a different mode of living many of us will quickly develop cracks and sores in our hands which can get infected in a minute just by digging them into soil.

Sanitation - 5kg hydrated lime. Again, I know I need more.

Sewing - 6 reels of strong button thread. (Not enough, but it's as far as I've got)

Paper - OK, I'm a writer and to me it's an essential, but paper has always been valuable in primitive societies, and I have 10 reams of it stashed.

That's all I have at present, but tomorrow I'll read a new post on these boards and start collecting something else...

Louise