Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
500 watt vertical axis WIND TURBINE
7 June 2013, 22:20,
500 watt vertical axis WIND TURBINE
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-Mini-Micro...%26ps%3D54

7 June 2013, 22:44,
RE: 500 watt vertical axis WIND TURBINE
From what I have read, this type of turbine doesn't give the power that its design claims it can, something to do with the curve of the blades, when the curves on the one side are right to catch the wind, the curves on the other side are curved the wrong way, so the whole design doesn't spin as well as a conventional design,...something like that
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 June 2013, 00:37,
I believe its advantages are it is compact and it is Omni-directional. It is also probably easier to construct on a DIY basis - I suppose :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
8 June 2013, 08:42,
Its a classic example of the KISS principle, few moving parts.

9 June 2013, 02:17,
I have just looked at the link and it looks complete garbage to me - for many reasons.. and I doubt that equipment in the centre is actually a dynamo. looks more like an old motor. I do know that motors can be converted, but this looks like a scam. If there is any gubbins inside that motor casing, then it would cost a fortune to ship from SriLlanka or wherever it is supposed to be coming from. I suspect that you would not receive much for your money through the post. beware. TL>
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 June 2013, 09:24,
i used to work for this company making the communication and control panels...

http://www.quietrevolution.com/index.htm

the Gorlov design is considered the most efficient of the VAWTS , yet more prone to overspeed , yet rquiring no "lead -in " to the wind....

the main issue i had with the above company was the DC motor at the top of the mast would be "powered up" to speed for it too be most effiecient...

when reaching the cut off point it would then be switched into Generator mode (Flemings Right Hand / Left Hand Rule.) and fed down the mast to the invertor pack which was an ABB invertor then onto the grid tie in .

Its my belief that the only true "Green Turbine" is thise that are made from wombled parts...

AlteregoCool
26 June 2013, 09:36, (This post was last modified: 26 June 2013, 09:40 by NorthernRaider.)
You know more about VAWT than I do thats clear as day, Care to do an article on DIY wind turbines for preppers and off gridders ??

Just looking at this for a simple system

http://www.creative-science.org.uk/sav.html

26 June 2013, 09:41,
does anyone know anything about the DOMESTIC wind turbines...the mini ones..and are they any good?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2013, 09:57,
(26 June 2013, 09:36)NorthernRaider Wrote: You know more about VAWT than I do thats clear as day, Care to do an article on DIY wind turbines for preppers and off gridders ??

Just looking at this for a simple system

http://www.creative-science.org.uk/sav.html

would love to when time permits NR...!!

a "home made guerilla throw toghther" can be done like this....

grab an old cordless drill..and decide whether you want a VAWT or HAWT....Rolleyes

make suitable turbine blade -`nets full of ways to make these...

make main spindle in centre of blades a 10mm thread bar to stick in chuck...

with DC Fleming states" movement in one direction the unit will be a motor(cordless drill) - movement in reverse the unit becomes a generator(what we want)....Idea

if the movement of the blade in the wind doesnt charge the battery then the reverse switch needs to be clicked in opposite direction Big Grin

another trick is make sure the gearbox is in high (second speed) as the drag will be less and chuck speed to Generator will be higher output.Tongue

the main thing here is its a learning process- a bit like those electronic kits when we were kids..Smile....

the battery contacts can be wired so the battery is in a handy position for use elsewhere.....Cool

Will try to do an indepth pic laden how to when i get more time...

hope this helpsSmile

Alterego
26 June 2013, 22:00,
(26 June 2013, 09:36)NorthernRaider Wrote: You know more about VAWT than I do thats clear as day, Care to do an article on DIY wind turbines for preppers and off gridders ??

I would also be very interested when you are able to find the time
A major part of survival is invisibility.