Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bartering Medical services?
9 June 2013, 16:49,
Bartering Medical services?
When I read some of US Cousin's sites, they generally comment that medical services/help could be something that you could barter.

But in the UK of course we are so used to medical services being FREE.

If I was to offer medical services post TU, do you think I could charge/barter for the services or so you think people would expect that I did it for free.
9 June 2013, 16:52,
RE: Bartering Medical services?
They'd rely on your good, kind-hearted soul and expect you to give, give, give!

9 June 2013, 16:56,
I would have assumed if you were treating someone post shtf, at the very least you would be fed for free.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 June 2013, 17:17,
I guess I would be fed but I'm looking for something to trade.
9 June 2013, 17:22,
depends what you need at the time, I suppose?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 June 2013, 18:01,
Part of our plans is for Mrs NR to trade her medical skills in return for supplies from this area and the surrounding villages and it most definately wont be free.

9 June 2013, 18:29,
but have you got any idea of what you'd want in return? i'm assuming some kind of "Sliding" scale, obviously you wont charge the same for a sprain as a broken arm or leg, and what do you charge for delivering a baby?
9 June 2013, 19:38,
I'd take the first born as an offering ...
9 June 2013, 19:59,
Medical knowledge would be one of the few trades that would continue after an event, so if you have the skill it would worth a great deal

I am not sure if having a set `reward` or payment would work, maybe the best way would be to ask what the patient could offer, you then find out what he or she has and can go up if necessary,... but would you allow anyone to suffer,..or die just because they didnt have anything, or not enough

Something else that may be worth thinking about is doing `house calls`, it will not always be possible for people to come to you, you may or may not think the risk is worth it,.. but in Medieval times people lived by doing just this
A major part of survival is invisibility.
9 June 2013, 20:43, (This post was last modified: 9 June 2013, 20:46 by Straight Shooter.)
I see danger here , if the person who asked for help was in a real bad way , there might be a temptation to hold you against your will till they were better, if you went to them or they come to you.....its not like your changing a washer on a tap, the other thing to consider is if they know your location , everyone would know in no time at all....... be careful.

You would be a rare commodity