Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“How Far Do You Want To Develop Your Preps?”
10 June 2013, 09:17, (This post was last modified: 10 June 2013, 09:20 by Lightspeed.)
RE: “How Far Do You Want To Develop Your Preps?”
Q: How much money you spend each year on prepping as a percentage of income or amount and do you consider it realistic.
A: As much as I possibly can without making daily life a struggle.

Q: How far you intend to go to be self- reliant and off grid
A: We’re addressing Water, Heating, Electrical power, Sanitation

Q: Do you want to live off grid full time permanently if you possibly can
A: No. We are setting up to be off grid capable, as a preparation. While main services are available we will use them.

Q: Do you / are you developing substantial veg plots and life stock preps
A: Yes to veg plots. Don’t know what you mean by life stock preps?

Q: How many PV panels do you own and how many to you actually want
A: 4 pannels currently, but continually upgrading.

Q: Are you planning on laying a 12VDC circuit in your home
A: Limited 12v circuits in house both for OPSEC and to control energy usage by various members of our household.

Q: Do you have an auxiliary water storage treatment plan in place and how much water can it contain
A: Own well with permanent supply. Water filter systems and additional rainwater harvesting containers are the current upgrade project.

Q: How much time do you consider as being realistic each week for your preps
A: Normally 5 -10 hours per week

Q: Are you planning for a whole family group or just yourself.
A: Family group

Q: Are you adapting your normal lifestyle to integrate your preps or are they kept separate (are you trying to live the preppers lifestyle now)
A: Good question. I was going to respond that preps are separate to normal lifestyle, but realise that they are now pretty much integrated into it.

Q: Do you have auxiliary heating systems like wood stoves separate from grid supplied gas and electric if so may I enquire without damaging your opsec approximately how much wood / coal/ oil/ gas have you set aside ( probably easy for some to say “ I have XXX months supply of firewood)
A: Limited supplied of gas, which we view as a kind of on-grid service, even though we are now using bottled supplies 100%. Wood burners are our chosen long term solution. Currently multiple backup stoves, and 12 months + stores of firewood.

Q: Do you have a food stockpile or cache
A: Yes

Q: Have you got or plan on getting a micro wind turbine (sub 1500 doofahs) if so is it erected and in use or cached for after TSHTF
A: No. Opsec. We feel wind turbines draw the eye and attract too much attention.

Q: Have you / are you planning on moving to a more sustainable location in the near future
A: Property now acquired and in process of conversion. BIB THANKS to NR, SS and others on SUK for the lists, advice and inspiration shared with us while we were searching.... you certainly helped us appraise selection criteria more objectively. We are now very satisfied with our final choice.

Q: What event or incident are you prepping to survive??
A: Rise in sea level, flood, energy crisis, water shortage, financial disaster, civil unrest, major / total societal breakdown. Partial contingency for nuclear and military challenges, but these are threats that are beyond our capacity to plan for in any meaningful way.

BIB THANKS should have read BIG THANKS of course.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 June 2013, 09:54,
For the moment I have stopped all my preps because I felt it was starting to take over. For the rest of the year I am planning to loosen up a bit and travel more, and just have fun. You're a long time dead folks.
10 June 2013, 10:01,
(10 June 2013, 09:54)Tartar Horde Wrote: For the moment I have stopped all my preps because I felt it was starting to take over. For the rest of the year I am planning to loosen up a bit and travel more, and just have fun. You're a long time dead folks.

An often wise approach sir, stand back and take a look from afar Smile

10 June 2013, 10:06,
NR,

You've created this list on the level of other people's preps, but what is your family's true capability in these areas?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 June 2013, 15:42,
I'm not aiming to be "self sufficient", because I want to trade with other people, but I hope to be "self reliant" in 18 months. That means that I hope to be as immune as is possible to the vagaries of the economy, which I see as the biggest threat to me and my family.
10 June 2013, 23:04,
(10 June 2013, 09:54)Tartar Horde Wrote: For the moment I have stopped all my preps because I felt it was starting to take over. For the rest of the year I am planning to loosen up a bit and travel more, and just have fun. You're a long time dead folks.

Do you find preping stressful or hard?, the reason I ask is that it sounds like you find doing preps is something you would rather not do if you had the choice.

We treat preping as a sort of hobby, we have purposely tried very hard to make it fun,.. or at least enjoyable to do, we talk about the best way to do this, or the easiest way to do that,. like many people talk about going on holiday,..

I know it can be addictive, we are happy with that, I think if something is fun to do [ even though it has a serious side to it ] then its never going to be stressful
A major part of survival is invisibility.