Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Full Blown Prepping
12 June 2013, 11:30,
Full Blown Prepping
Full Blown Prepping
© NR 2013

This is a simple, non-confrontational article written as to a companion to articles such as PREPPING LITE and is really an idealistic viewpoint of if time money and resources were unlimited what I personally would aspire to.

A south west facing detached home would be the starting point that is at the end of a rural lane NOT enroute to anywhere else.It would be energy self-sufficient with PV panels either on the roof or mounted on an array in the garden.

The house would contain a farmhouse kitchen / dining area with attached pantry / larder. A Lounge, Combined Study / library/ Comms room and three bedrooms would be included. The doors would be of the steel clad wood effect multi point locking system and all rooms would have smoke detectors and a 3gk dry powder extinguisher.

All radio antennas would be either quick demountable or hidden from plain sight.

The house would sit at least 30 feet above the highest ever recorded flood level for the area.

Wood effect steel French window shutters would be fitted as normal practice and triple glazing and the latest levels of insulation would be installed. Severely vicious thorny shrubs would be planted under each window.

It would be backed up with a demountable vertical axis wind turbine or two, perhaps backed up by an Archimedes screw hydro system in a nearby stream. A 200 gallon water tank in the loft would be the prime reservoir. A fully silenced diesel generator would be the emergency backup and also used for harvest time when we may need to dry harvested crops.

The house would have a cellar with re-enforced flooring and be used for storing veg and dried timber. An all-round observation point or facility would be installed in the attic / loft.

An off grid water system would be an absolute must be it local stream or creek, well or bore hole.
All waste water would be ran through reed beds and used to irrigate crops or top up a carp pond.

The property would have a workshop, garage and log store, a 200 gallon diesel tank would be stored in the garage and its contents treated with preservatives and stabilizer as normal practice.

Ideally it would have a modest plot of land for going crops and perhaps a paddock for keeping chooks, bunnies, goats, mini pigs and Dexter cattle, a separate structure would house animal foods and equipment.

A Victorian style compost heated greenhouse would be essential for extending the growing system at this latitude.

The house would be wired with both a 220Vac system via a 150 amp distribution board and a 12vdc would be ran to accompany the 220 system but on a more basic system of perhaps one light and one outlet in each room all individually fused. The battery bank would be stored in the same structure as the diesel generator.

If the risk of radiological contamination rose again as it did during the cold war a high pressure rooftop washing / irrigation system would be installed to flush away fallout particles.

I would also add an over pressure air filter / pump and full sized water filter system.

Ideally the access road to the property would zigzag so the house is obscured from the main road.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that folks is my pie in the sky dream prepper home.

12 June 2013, 14:39,
RE: Full Blown Prepping
My own island would be my starting point!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 June 2013, 14:41,
I know EXACTLY the property I want, unfortunately I don't have £275,000 !!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 14:42,
I've got ideas to but not the cash either
12 June 2013, 14:45,
join the club!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 June 2013, 14:50, (This post was last modified: 12 June 2013, 14:52 by Mortblanc.)
I would like to stay and chat about the possibilities and expenses of the day dream but I have to go out and pressure wash the siding, feed the livestock, cut and split a tree that is down in the fence row and repair the lighting system on the utility trailer.

Don't you fellows have any work to do on the homestead you have?

Everyone lives somewhere, and every place needs improvement.
12 June 2013, 14:58,
we don't ALL live on a ranch, this is ENGLAND for gawd's sake!!Big GrinBig Grin
12 June 2013, 15:09,
(12 June 2013, 14:50)Mortblanc Wrote: I would like to stay and chat about the possibilities and expenses of the day dream but I have to go out and pressure wash the siding, feed the livestock, cut and split a tree that is down in the fence row and repair the lighting system on the utility trailer.

Don't you fellows have any work to do on the homestead you have?

Sounds to me like you could use a helper!
A big bearded one Wink
12 June 2013, 16:14,
Here ya go

[Image: LI-Lottery.jpg]
12 June 2013, 16:37,
I could'nt win the death penalty !!