Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break In at S13's home....thwarted.
13 June 2013, 10:22,
Break In at S13's home....thwarted.
Okay, this sucks, but has had a beneficial knock on effect.

Neighbour came round because the dogs were playing about in the road. Turns out the back gate was open. Had only recently fitted a new bolt to the door, so it wasn't the wind that would have opened it!!! When we looked closer, 2 of the panels were damaged, as if someone had pulled back hard on them to open the gate. The wife also found some cable ties dropped on the floor. Seems like the dogs scared them off. Good job we have over friendly pups that would have been jumping up on the gate to see who was making the noise.

Well, this has suitably freaked the wife, and I was unable to do my nightshift. Not good!

The knock on effect is that the wife now wants her shotty cert and FAC (Fire Arms Certificate). We're going to get his and hers cabinets too! Happy days.

Okay, so that's the situation so far. Let me just give some ideas for securing the house.

First off, we're getting another bolt for the door. This one will be much lower down so that it'll be impossible to reach over the gate and open both latches. Actually, thinking about it, we might just get 2 more bolts.

Secondly, a nice sized piece of wood to act as a barricade. Will be easy enough to have it like a castle log style door security thing. You know the kind medieval castles have in the films?

Thirdly, a PIR (motion sensor) floor light. Some are adjustable to varying degrees of darkness outside. It's a good idea to have these set to work from dusk to dawn, and not just when it's damn dark.

Forthly, solar powered lights. It's a stupid one, but if your garden is light enough, it'll deter some people. Who wants to walk through a garden that is bright enough to be easily seen in?

Fifthly, I might have accidentally lay some VERY SHARP thorns at the top of the gate, just above the bolt. That way, if anyone reaches over the top of the gate top open it, they'll have a sharp surprise!

Sixthly, I'll be reinforcing the gate and looking into setting up a bollard style device, as I spoke about in NR's Front Door Security thread.

Seventhly, recognise that at most these are deterrents. All anyone needs to do is drive a car through a fence post, and they're into your garden. Same principle can be used with a stolen van or bus and through the front of your house. We do our best, but need to recognise that if they want to get in badly enough, at most we can make it difficult for them to do so.

Oh, forgot to mention spot lights. These are always going to be a bit of fun. Well worth putting up to frustrate people.

Speaking of putting things up, what about that "Beware of dogs" sign you have? This sign works whether you have dogs or not.

Hope they help.

Enjoy.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
13 June 2013, 10:42,
RE: Break In at S13's home....thwarted.
Beware of dogs sign and alarm sticker. They are both great deterrents even if u don't have them. I have also found that pushing a wooden wedge (usually used to hold open doors) is a great and easy way to keep someone from opening the door/gate.
13 June 2013, 10:53,
Glad that they didn't get entry in the house.
Sounds like your gate is all sorted now
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

13 June 2013, 12:27,
Scum, glad to hear they did not get in S13.
Failure is NOT an option
13 June 2013, 12:47,
iv got a sensor light with a plug witch if pluged in beeps if triggered iv taken out the bulb so if it goes off i know somebodys their but they dont giving me time to welcome them

with open arms Angry
Survive the jive (youtube )
13 June 2013, 12:49,
Sorry to hear about that - it kinda makes your blood boil though doesn't it? Angry I think you're right (unfortunately) that the bestyou can do is deter but with that list done, you're going to be the last house in the area to have another attempt! Big Grin

13 June 2013, 13:30,
Photo  RE: Break In at S13's home....thwarted.
Say hello to my bouncer, with his sister he looks after our doors.

[Image: Maxat17months.jpg][/img]
13 June 2013, 13:32,
Wow..I'm not normally that keen on doggies, but he's a handsome proud chap ehh!!

"take my picture dad"....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
13 June 2013, 14:16,
Glad they didnt get in and everyones ok. Theres some scum out there.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
13 June 2013, 14:17,
Aye good to hear you are all OK