Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type of Houses
13 June 2013, 17:20,
Type of Houses
We got one of the family staying at present.
Long story short, he came back with copy of local paper which contained a section on houses for sale. Now we are not looking to move but...

I was surprised by the number of houses that did not even have a chimney.
Just a little pipe for the gas boiler in some or nothing at all.
I am also told many new central heating installations no longer use a header tank so therefore there is no need for a water tank in the roof. All water is direct mains supply.

Made me wonder what would happen to all these houses and more so the people in them post SHTF with no electric and no gas and only mains water supply.

How are your houses, got any other means of heating and/or water supply?
13 June 2013, 17:25,
RE: Type of Houses
all modern houses on this estate, I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones that have chimneys, 99% do not including ours!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 June 2013, 17:34,
300 year old cottage walls 2 feet think, inglenook fireplace with a back boiler. We have a good few litres of water stored.
Failure is NOT an option
13 June 2013, 17:42,
Recently moved from an old cottage with inglenook boiler and loads of water stored to new build as my work moved Sad however we are looking to move in the near future so hopefully back to one with a chimney and cold water header tank - heaven! For this house its a case of a chiminea with a home made flue to outside and external water barrels, if the shtf we would fill the bath etc with water too!
13 June 2013, 17:53,
(13 June 2013, 17:25)bigpaul Wrote: all modern houses on this estate, I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones that have chimneys, 99% do not including ours!

So what do you intend to do post SHTF?
Outside storage water barrels is an option I know, we have it as back up but what about heat for warmth and cooking?
13 June 2013, 17:54,
(13 June 2013, 17:53)John Wrote:
(13 June 2013, 17:25)bigpaul Wrote: all modern houses on this estate, I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones that have chimneys, 99% do not including ours!

Outside storage water barrels is an option I know, we have it as back up but what about heat for warmth and cooking?

I have back up alternatives in place.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 June 2013, 17:57,
(13 June 2013, 17:54)bigpaul Wrote: I have back up alternatives in place.

Hang on a mo'!

You're one of those "Preppers" aren't ya!! Big Grin

Rolleyes
13 June 2013, 17:59,
(13 June 2013, 17:57)BeardyMan Wrote:
(13 June 2013, 17:54)bigpaul Wrote: I have back up alternatives in place.

Hang on a mo'!

You're one of those "Preppers" aren't ya!! Big Grin

Rolleyes
no commentAngel
13 June 2013, 18:11,
(13 June 2013, 17:54)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 June 2013, 17:53)John Wrote:

I have back up alternatives in place.

Do share, I might have missed something.
So what you do for heat and water?
13 June 2013, 18:12,
"I have alternatives in place".