Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practicing Prepping
20 June 2013, 11:31,
Practicing Prepping
Now I'm fairly new to these forums (I only joined yesterday), but for the past few years I've been practicing for when TSHTF. Not only is it an insight into how prepared you are, it's also incredibly fun!

When I first started this was back in 2008 with my friend. This is the scenario we gave ourselves: "An EMP has detonated over the UK. Make your way to your chosen BOL. As it turned out, we made it to the BOL, but because we had just started prepping we we hideously under equipped.

Fast forward to October 2012, and four of us were fully prepared for most things. I sent out the code word via text, "Invasion", and got under way. Invasion's briefing was that an enemy force was attacking the UK from within. Long story short, I believe a yearly 'exercise' is the perfect way to see first hand just how prepared you really are

Feedback appreciated

Duttster
"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
Alan Alda
20 June 2013, 11:50, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 11:52 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Practicing Prepping
Yup most of us practice bugging out or bugging in with various degrees of effort and success, where as its pretty easy for single preppers to grab a bag and head out it is not so easily logistically or organisationally for groups or prepper families.

Part of the problem is the BO scenarios as seen on TV usually involved fit single young men heading to to build bashas in the local woodland for a few days, but when you are planning for mum, dad, kids, granny dog and expecting to be bugged out for months utterly self reliant its a different kettle of fish on all aspects.

We often have issues clarifying the distinct difference between Bushcraft and Wilderness survival and hard core Prepping and Survivalism. The two are distantly related but very seperate and distinct.

20 June 2013, 12:04,
Its good that you are not only thinking about things, but that you are practicing it too,... however I would practice far more than once a year, scenarios change monthly and your plans may also need to change to keep up.

I also believe that this should be fun, but you also have to think about the more serious side to it, are you guys all single, what happens if one of your group turn up with his family in tow, not wanting to leave them to their fate, maybe by then you have girlfriends, etc who you do not want to leave,... all these things will change your plans drastically, they may also bring the need to change your BOL,... whatever you do, think ahead, and to how things may change, and be prepared to change all plans to keep up
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 12:09, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 12:14 by Duttster.)
I totally agree with you there NR, however unlike the BO on tv showing young lads basically going out camping for a couple of days with some 6 packs, we really try and put limits and hindrances on us. The hardest scenario we've done to date involved us "forgetting" food and water and bugging out in a wood with the only means of getting food and water being filters and a couple if air rifles

Highlander all but 1 of us has girlfriends which we regularly bring too, however the issue lies with the families: 2 of the guys families' think won't get on board with the idea of SHTF in order to test this scenario
"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
Alan Alda
20 June 2013, 12:47,
Innit always the blooming case trying to get family members to see the light, or the shit BEFORE it hits the fan.

20 June 2013, 12:59,
(20 June 2013, 12:09)Duttster Wrote: Highlander all but 1 of us has girlfriends which we regularly bring too, however the issue lies with the families: 2 of the guys families' think won't get on board with the idea of SHTF in order to test this scenario

Most of us can relate to this, but you still have to at least keep it in mind and plan accordingly, because the families thoughts on the subject now may well change when the event happens, they may be very keen to come along, and if you dont have plans and ideas already in place, they might put everyone's lives in peril

At least prepare extra Bug out bags, make sure any Bug out location is big enough for everyone keep adding to those stores, and list skills that the family have between them,... not easy I know
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 June 2013, 13:30,
I might have to get a couple more BOBs, I'm just afraid that regularly cycling the stuff in them i.e. food is going to grow more and more complicated. My parents and family are all fully on board, buying stuff which they see fit or maintaining our stock. It's the other 2 families that are concerning me.
Alan Alda
20 June 2013, 13:43,
Alrite Duttster, why not give the other family/s an ultimatum ! ? , do they/you have shared supplies at your BOL ? and how close roughly are you location wise ?
20 June 2013, 14:44,
Duttster, have any of your scenarios involved bugging in? For me, I have no choice, so in it is but as Highlander says, circumstances change almost constantly. For you, there may well come a time that bugging in is your best option.

Turn off power, gas and mains water for a weekend, see how you fare on your preps alone? With your family on board, they may be up for it and then they could bring up 'the power cut' in conversation with the other families - see how they respond.

(You could probably cheat a wee bit in keeping the freezer connected Big Grin)

20 June 2013, 15:12, (This post was last modified: 20 June 2013, 15:21 by Mortblanc.)
Try a run without the briefing, without prior notice, during rush hour on Friday evening, and stay out there for a week.

As for getting people "on board",,,,,forget it! All you will do is destroy your opsec and place yourself on the local "weirdoes to watch" list.

Their attitude and existence if why you have to run about prepping, training and finding BO locations on your own rather than it being a national effort, mandatory and funded by TPTB and promoted by the media.

Bushcraft and camping activities make excellent cover for prepping and crisis training. I never tell people I am teaching, training or testing gear, I am just "gone camping".

And you should do some bugging in practice, as GG stated.

The first thing the government does in crisis is total lockdown. First it will be voluntary and when that does not work a curview will be established, then martial law.

Your freedom of movement will be the first thing that disappears.

We always think of riots and mob activities but in some instances the streets might be abandoned and movement impossible. The recent terror attacks in Boston resulted in lockdown, as would a plague scenario or nuke accident or dirty bomb. You might have soldiers in NCB gear patrolling the streets looking for preppers trying to escape the cities.