Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag
13 June 2013, 19:53,
NR ©2013
I often read about the thought and consideration other folks put into their GHB’s, GOODs, EDC bags, BOB’s etc and it often leaves me feeling rather ashamed at my modest or neglected efforts.

So I did a bit of assessment on myself to work out what would be the ideal sort of GHB (GET HOME BAG) for me, remembering that primarily I work from home and when away usually have my car and its associated prep bits n pieces to fall back on, this is all on top of the bit n pieces I EDC carry normally.

So below please find a list of my ideal GHB and remember my needs and requirements may differ from yours.

A Henry AR7 or Marlin Papoose, 50 rounds 22LR (if in Kansas)
B Compound Bow kit, Quiver, 12 Arrows (if in UK)
Obviously items A & B are not normally carried with me in either location.

1. Folding Lock knife
2. Tungsten knife sharpener
3. Multi tool
4. LED Flashlight
5. Spare batteries for 4
6. Chemical Light sticks
7. Mini Pry bar
8. Butane Lighter
9. Compass in mils and degrees
10. 50 meters of parachute cord
11. First Aid Kit, including anti histamine tabs and pain killers
12. Blister Dressing Kit
13. Tube anti septic cream
14. Tube antifungal cream
15. Bottle alcohol based hand sanitizer
16. Pack of baby wipes
17. Paper Kitchen roll
18. Bar of soap
19. Toothbrush
20. Bic disposable razor
21. Spec cleaning fluid
22. Tea Towel
23. PAYG Cellphone
24. PMR / FM radio
25. Spare Batteries for 22
26. 25 mm Mini Binoculars
27. Assorted area annotated Maps
28. Sharpy pen and notebook
29. Gloves
30. Bandana
31. Spare Socks
32. Spare undies
33. Spork
34. Nutrition bars, dried fruit, chocolate bar
35. 1 litre aluminium Water Bottle
36. Pack water puri tablets
37. Spare polarized shades
38. Spare Prescription Eye Glasses
39. Insulating tape
40. Cable Ties
41. Karabiner
42. Assorted Zip lock bags
43. Dust Masks

One option I am also considering is a portable PV charger for recharging the Cell Phone and PMR radio.

In colder weather I would normally add a Hexamine Cooker, Fuel and extra foods, plus aluminium cooking pot or stainless steel dog bowl.

My EDC clothing normally consists of Approach shoes, Cargo Pants, Polo shirt and Water Resistant Soft Shell Jacket, and on my person regardless of what I’ve got in my GHB I will have a UK legal pocket knife, compass, lighter, mini flashlight, self-winding watch, eye glasses, wallet etc.

13 June 2013, 20:10,
RE: Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag
Can you always assume that you will make it home in one day?, because I dont see anything there for staying out, no shelter or sleeping bag,.. remember that you cant continue to travel without resting, and you may find the need to hold a position for a while
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 June 2013, 20:14,
"I work from home and when away usually have my car and its associated prep bits n pieces to fall back on, this is all on top of the bit n pieces I EDC carry normally."

13 June 2013, 20:49,
If the "get home" route might mean travelling through a riot zone then I'd suggest a pair of protective goggles would be useful against smoke, fireworks, tear gas, water cannon etc.
13 June 2013, 20:54,
Out of interest what is a legal pocket knife? I thought carrying any knife for the sake of it would get you nicked?
13 June 2013, 21:00,
The only legal knife for normal carry is a knife that folds away and does not `lock` open,.. the length of blade is 4 inches,.. [ I think, I am sure someone will tell us if I am wrong ]

... but you can carry a lock knife if you can give a good reason,..i.e. camping/fishing,..or work, the same goes for a none folding knife

You will be in trouble if you are caught carrying them on show in a public place
13 June 2013, 21:18,
Non locking and under 75 mm (3inch) blade is the normal definition of UK legal.

13 June 2013, 21:48,
Get Home bags for both of us are held in our car top box

Spare clothes
Sleeping bags
strong boots
Shelter
Food and water
radios
Knife and fire kit
14 June 2013, 03:17,
I like that "if in Kansas" insert!

Thing is, if you are in a situation where a firearm is needed you will probably need more than a .22lr. That is especially true in Kansas where the rabbits can see you coming a mile away.

I personally take the other route and carry a 12ga when traveling. Good for either defense or small game. I am in the eastern woodlands where the only long shots are along the right of way for the motorway.

As for the other goodies on the list, that is vehicle kit and not a bag I would bother carrying when on foot.
14 June 2013, 08:33,
that's a lot of kit just to get home.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.