Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wood burner
29 November 2011, 17:37,
wood burner
well its been a bit of a battle but i have had verbal confirmation that i can put a wood burner in Big Grin the only way i could do it was straight out a side wall like the bloke from the planning said it is like i was just putting a vent for a tumble dryer (.Well shocked someone in the council with a bit of sense Idea) so have had a few prices and i hope to have it in for xmas
down side wife wants to re dec living room and new carpet as well suppose cant win them all Confused
any suggestions from you guys on wood how much wood do you use estamate ed of course mine will be lit every day once its in my good lady finds the cold lol
it will be a 5kw burner

thanks in advance b/d
off to strip some wall paper Dodgy
29 November 2011, 17:44,
RE: wood burner
Wouldn't have occurred to me to as them about it. I'd have just installed it. ooops.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 November 2011, 17:49,
Wood burners use a lot of wood. Exactly how much depends on the type of wood and the efficiency of your burner, how many hours a day it will be lit.
Out American colleagues go through 3 to 5 cords of wood each winter! A cord being 8ft * 4ft * 4ft of wood (128 cubic foot of wood, minus the spaces between the round logs)
That’s a lot of wood.
Ideally it's been seasoned for at least a year.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
29 November 2011, 17:56,

(29 November 2011, 17:44)Skean Dhude Wrote: Wouldn't have occurred to me to as them about it. I'd have just installed it. ooops.

there is one person around me who sticks there nose into everyone's buissness so best to do it propper channels but if they had said no i would have anyway Smile
29 November 2011, 18:40, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2011, 18:44 by Nemesis.)
Hi bowdrill, I have just installed my multi fuel burner and love it, I got a 5kw and paid 400 in all for it, there are many selling for 250/299 but I suspect they are not really well made.

Going to grout it now.

[Image: wBlO7lA9ZHIWnbwThm24sepH.jpg]

[Image: 259_2.jpg]

http://www.firestove.co.uk/prods/firestove-two.html

Also you might want to get a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/900-0230-Battery...528&sr=8-1
29 November 2011, 19:06, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2011, 19:21 by NorthernRaider.)
Hey W & C your fire is beautiful, same physical size as my little wenlock and same output as well, I notice the controls for the air mix and ridding are in the same place. You will really enjoy having that in your home.

ONE SERIOUS question though mate, I was told by the shop and the planners you have to have a certain distance all around your fire to be legal IIRC its 6 inches at the top, 4 inches each side and 2 inches at the back, something to do with getting the heat into your room most efficiently and not damaging the fire place by overheating it.
If you look at the photo of my fire place you can see the sort of space around rthe fire needed to have it legal and safe ( I think) Plus to get the full benefit of the radient effect from the cast iron sides and back you need the space to let the heat out ( again I think)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/6426150229/
Did some more checking on fitting and found this image that lists the sizes
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=aga+lit...29,r:4,s:0

and this text
Below is a guidline as to how much clearance you need in a standard Brick fireplace. These figures are what the building regulations reccomend. Please note that the dimensions below are based on a non combustible fireplace (eg no wooden lintel etc). If you are installing into a fireplace that has combustible materials then please download the Installation manual above for the reccomended clearances.

29 November 2011, 19:46,
Very nice looking stove area NR I want to open mine up next year to create the same look you have, I started this project as a open fire and one thing led to another and I ended up with multi fuel, all happened to fast, so this side of Xmas I am going to run with it, although I did read ment to be a gap each side, for the time being I have added foil reflectors to each side and top its ok for now, ssshhhh Wink

Have you seen these eco fans on youtube, one of my mates lives on a canal boat and swears by it.

29 November 2011, 20:47,
Gracias Senor, I think I'll have to have a closer look at eco fans.

29 November 2011, 22:05,
Oof I've looked and they are £120, which is £100 more than I would pay.

29 November 2011, 23:01,
(29 November 2011, 22:05)NorthernRaider Wrote: Oof I've looked and they are £120, which is £100 more than I would pay.

Yeh they are priced to not sell, I have seen some like eco for around £65